• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

male rabbit getting neutered, worried.

minirextyler

Young Bun
i know people have said it before but i want to get second opinions, im getting tyler done next week and am worried incase he wont let me touch him after and starts biting. yes i know people have sed he should be calmer and tamer, but i just want other opinions please :?

I've never known a rabbit to suddenly turn vicious after a neuter.

Why do you worry that that will happen? Have you had a bad experience before?

Good luck, hope all goes well :)

i dont know, i worry alot lol, and noo first time for me, he's my first bunny x

I'm not aware of it being a problem. I volunteer at a rescue and we get males neutered nearly every week and I've not seen any of them change in behaviour afterwards. :)

Have you researched other possible risks of the op, and found a vet who has enough experience to do it well?

I'm not aware of it being a problem. I volunteer at a rescue and we get males neutered nearly every week and I've not seen any of them change in behaviour afterwards. :)

Have you researched other possible risks of the op, and found a vet who has enough experience to do it well?

okay thankyou that has put my mind at ease, and no not yet but i will do, and yes found a vet with 22 years of experiance in small animal ops x

okay thankyou that has put my mind at ease, and no not yet but i will do, and yes found a vet with 22 years of experiance in small animal ops x

That's great :D

Neutering males isn't as risky as neutering females because it's a less invasive op. (You can imagine, I'm sure ;) )

*Don't* starve him before the op as you would for a cat or a dog - this is very dangerous for a rabbit.

Afterwards, make sure he's been given pain relief - typically they will give him an injection while he's at the vet, and give you some to take away with you too, to feed to him at home. This is super important, if he is in pain he won't eat, which can quickly be fatal in rabbits.

If he isn't eating or pooing normally afterwards phone your vet for advice, he may need readmitting for more treatment.

Those are all the basics, I think. I hope that wasn't scary - that wasn't my intention - the risks are low as long as you know what to expect, and what to look out for. I think in two years, only one of our rabbits at the rescue has had complications after a neuter.

Let us know how he does - I saw his pictures, he is soooo handsome with his silky blue fur :love:

My little Munchkin was neutered 2 months ago and I was worried too. He came through it fine and is just as loving and affectionate as he was before. His personality is definitely unchanged. :wave:

Back