• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spey Advisee Pleasee

xxranxx

Alpha Buck
My girls are getting speyed tomorrow as their shed is finished and theyre going to live with toby permanently once healed. i bonded them and they all got on perfectly, toby was neutered about a year ago. i moved them into the shed once they bonded and blossom started humping and fur pulling poor toby. So iv sped up the getting them speyed plan. theyre getting done tomorrow :shock: im panicking megaly now :| anyway as they are living in the shed together now i obviously am going to have to separate them at least until their stitches heal and they are eating and pooping. the girls have always lived together since they were born (sisters) so i am wondering should i put them in seperate hutches post spey until i see theyre eating and pooping? and will toby be ok to be left in the shed? if they go in the same hutch i wont know if both are eating ok and pooping enough so im worried now and i dont want toby to be lonely in the shed now hes bonded :| Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated :) :)

Tricky one... hmm I am not sure what to suggest :?
I would think if they are all bonded it may do more harm than good to split them up but I could be very wrong, so really just bumping the thread for you and wishing them both good luck for tomorrow!

thanks :) yeh i am worried about separating them as they have only recently moved into the shed together i dont want them to end up unbonded :| ahh dilema haha. :)

Rhiannon,

I understand that if your girls are bonded then it's less stressful for them if they are kept together. It also helps to speed up the recovery process.
My girls were very snuggly with each other when they got done and were kept together after surgery. They were back to their normal hoppy selves within a few days and I'm sure that having them both together helped. Saying that, they are sisters and are close anyway.
I'd perhaps be inclined to separate them from Toby until they are healed, then reintroduce them afterwards, although you may need to rebond them. That's just me though. I'm no expert!

Hope the op goes ok tomorrow. I'll be thinking if you and your girls!

Nat xxx

Hey Nat :)
Yeh mine are sisters too
047.jpg

just had to add a picture :p yeh i think il leave them together and then after a week il put them back in the shed :) how long did yours take to heal the stitches?
theyre not getting done till thursday now because i have a presentation tomorrow at college and really cant miss it and darent let my mum take them ... shes not good with my bunnys :p shed never catch them. and i wanna be available to pick them up straight away :) im scared somethings gunna happen though or i cant get them eating :| x

i had 2 sisters done in march thay are bonded with mum and brother. i brought 2 small pens in my dining room (being decorated so no carpet etc..) put them next to each other, put the newly spayed sisters in 1 and mum and bro in the other. so thay could see/smell each other. after the first night i let them run around the room, i kept them all in for 5 days then moved them back outside. good luck tomorrow hope it all goes ok. XX

Aww really and were they ok when they went back together? i cant bring mine inside as my bf and mother are allergic :| but i still have their old hutches and they face eachother so theyd still be able to see eachother :) maybe after a few days rest il put them in the run together so they stay bonded :) how did you tell which ones were eating and pooping? im worried one will and the other wont and i wont be able to tell :|
Aww thanks they are lovely and toby (buck) is even cuter :p
Haha yeh its a border terrier :) poppy :)
thanks for that comment its actually made me feel a lot better :) x

Lovely bunnies!!!

I brought my two in for just over a week. They lived in a dog crate with vetbed on the floor. I was advised this would be better for their stitches as it would be less irritating than wood chips.
My buns were very subdued the day of the op and didn't eat anything when I got them home. I left them alone and they still hadn't eaten in the morning. I read on here that dandelions soaked in cold water work well at getting bunnies to eat, so at 6am I was in the garden in my dressing gown collecting dandelions. I rinsed them in cold water and hand fed them. They ate a couple each and I noticed a few small poo's.
I phoned your mum at work for advice and she said as long as they had eaten and poo'd then they were ok. I picked more dandelions for them and left them on a saucer in their crate. I went riding and when I came back, the dandelions had gone :) I was over the moon!!
I tried sorts after that, grated carrot (they seemed to prefer that to whole carrot chunks), pellets mashed with hot water (cooled obviously). They seemed to ear more when I wasn't watching.
I'm sure your girls will be fine. Mine went in on the Wednesday, had eaten and pooped by Thurs afternoon and were back to normal by the Saturday. They had a post op check up the following Wednesday and were back in their hutch on the Friday.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the essay!!!

Aww really and were they ok when they went back together? i cant bring mine inside as my bf and mother are allergic :| but i still have their old hutches and they face eachother so theyd still be able to see eachother :) maybe after a few days rest il put them in the run together so they stay bonded :) how did you tell which ones were eating and pooping? im worried one will and the other wont and i wont be able to tell :|
Aww thanks they are lovely and toby (buck) is even cuter :p
Haha yeh its a border terrier :) poppy :)
thanks for that comment its actually made me feel a lot better :) x

i just took a chance thay were both pooing and i hand fed both of them. to be honest thay did'nt poo till thay got moving around the room. seems thay needed to get moving in order to get pooing! :lol: the vet gave me a gut stimulant in case thay did'nt poo as i had them done on a friday and it would have ment going to out of hours vet. i think as long as thay have metacam thay should be ok, dont be worried if thay dont move/eat when you bring them home its usually the morning after thay start to pick up.
I to have a border terrier alfie :love: my vet has one called poppy.

Sorry, I haven't read the thread entirely (my concentration won't allow it), but if they are currently bonded then its generally better for them to go through the process together. It can speed up their recovery and make things less stressful for them.

I did this with The Dopeys and it was great to see them give each other comfort.

I separated them for a short while the next day to ensure the one who recovered less well was doing all she needed to do but generally it went really well.

This was them the night of their op.

Dopeys311.jpg

Oohh i hope theyl be ok :| id actually diee if anything happened to them. however toby has been castrated and hes a special bunny so i would of thought something would of been more likely to affect him under GA than the girls and hes had stasis before but touch wood the girls eat like theres no tomorrow and should hopefully have no problems recovering Fingers Crossed!! :lol: i think il ask jane to recomend they come inside but i know shes on mums side about her been allergic so shel just tell me theyre fine :| i think il have to give them monitered time with toby in the shed where its dry soon as theyre back to normal selves and just keep my eye on stitches coz i dont think itl be good if theyre separated for long. hes so much happier now hes with them :) keep your fingers crossed and vibes a flowingg :) xx

Sorry, I haven't read the thread entirely (my concentration won't allow it), but if they are currently bonded then its generally better for them to go through the process together. It can speed up their recovery and make things less stressful for them.

I did this with The Dopeys and it was great to see them give each other comfort.

I separated them for a short while the next day to ensure the one who recovered less well was doing all she needed to do but generally it went really well.

This was them the night of their op.

Dopeys311.jpg

so keep girlies together but separate from toby for a while you think?

i just took a chance thay were both pooing and i hand fed both of them. to be honest thay did'nt poo till thay got moving around the room. seems thay needed to get moving in order to get pooing! :lol: the vet gave me a gut stimulant in case thay did'nt poo as i had them done on a friday and it would have ment going to out of hours vet. i think as long as thay have metacam thay should be ok, dont be worried if thay dont move/eat when you bring them home its usually the morning after thay start to pick up.
I to have a border terrier alfie :love: my vet has one called poppy.

thank youu for all your advise:) i will probably frantically post on here once their done :p aww :) theyre lovely arent they however mine is 4 and still chews like a puppy only a lot more damage! lino - ruined bought a cage so she didnt eat anything that could hurt her .. she pulled the bars off and snapped all her teeth :shock: she is a monster!! shes going to vets to have fillings in her teeth soon too lol x

yes def keep girls together, and i would keep toby near by.

oki doke :) thanks
What about toby in a hutch facing them so they can all see eachother? how long (approx) till they can have a hop about with toby supervised by me so no stitches pulled?

oki doke :) thanks
What about toby in a hutch facing them so they can all see eachother? how long (approx) till they can have a hop about with toby supervised by me so no stitches pulled?

my girls never had stitches thay had glue, i let mine all run around together the next day, i think as long as their not jumping around ie on stools,chairs etc... and hes not humping them thay should be ok. just make sure the girls have eaten/pooed first. where are you planing to keep them? thay will need to be in doors the first night as thay cant maintain there temperture due to the anisetic, and you wont be able to put them in a run on the grass for a week- 10 days due to the wound possibly getting infected.

Are they fully and properly bonded with Toby?

If so, I would be inclined to just keep them together but monitor his behaviour. Two weeks ago I sent the final girlie in one of my trios for her spay, and kept her with her bonded friends and just monitored them all to ensure no one was harassing her or being a pain. Generally they left her alone unless she wanted comfort from them, and then they all snuggled up together. It was very cute.

My bonded pairs/trios only get split if its in the best interests of the bunnies and right now, there's no reason to suggest its not best for them to all be together, but he will have to be monitored carefully.

Also, loulabell raised such an important issue. You need to bring home a bottle of Metacam so you can give some to them yourself for the following few days. It gives them te best chance of recovery and means they hopefully won't need to go back to the vets for more pain relief the next day. Bearing in mind they have their uterus removed, a woman would not have her uterus removed with only 24 hours of pain relief after.

You need to ensure you will get this. In my eyes it's cruel for them to not have pain relief for the following few days.

Yeh i think i better separate girls and toby for at least 5-7 days .. i am at college full time and work evenings so i cant really keep an eye on toby however he doesnt hump them its always the other way round but i wouldnt forgive myself if something happened. As for their bonding they get on really well and have had run time together daily but have always had to be seperated again on a night as i only had hutches and theyre big enough for 2 but not 3 so when the shed was finished i put them in and theyve had a few nights together now and youd think theyd been together forever :) but was used to them going back into a different hutch opposite his everynight so he may be ok for a week. they cold have run time in shed with him once theyre feeling better as its lino and carpet with litter trays so it would be easy for me to keep them clean etc. As for pain relief my mum is a vet nurse at my vets and my god mother is the vet so thats not a problem, but i cant ask their advice on separating them and stuff coz i really dont think they understand how obessed i am with my buns lol. i have recovery food in stock ready as had to use this for tobys castration and stasis episode so if they dont eat im prepared and have anti bs in cupboard for emergencies too. thank you for all your advise i will most definetly be following it :) still dont think il stop worrying though.

Back