• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poops

clarebear

Mama Doe
Bramble is still not doing many poops, eating as normal, although a little slower than before his neuter. Do you think a trip to the vets is necessary? Fine otherwise.

I believe the darker the poops means the less hay they are eating. If they are very small and have not been that way before it might be worth a vet trip just to check out his tummy.

Is he eating grass instead of hay?

Theoretically, given their metabolism lowers after being neutered/spayed, they would need to eat less, but would still graze throughout the day.

I think if you're concerned then you lose nothing in getting him checked out, specifically, his teeth. Hopefully though, those would have been checked during the neuter.

Did this start with a different bag/type of hay? Did you treat him more after his neuter? Has he had any known dental issues? I would say a vet check is important though.

How long ago was he neutered?
I think the vets may say to keep a close eye on him as taking him in may upset him even more- this is the advise we have been given in the past.
Are you able to give him Fibreplex?
Make sure the veggies you feed are drenched in water so he does not get dehydrated.
Keep a very close eye on his input and output, as long as he is eating and pooping then things are moving which is positive.

How long ago was he neutered?
I think the vets may say to keep a close eye on him as taking him in may upset him even more- this is the advise we have been given in the past.
Are you able to give him Fibreplex?
Make sure the veggies you feed are drenched in water so he does not get dehydrated.
Keep a very close eye on his input and output, as long as he is eating and pooping then things are moving which is positive.

He was neutered 7 weeks ago. I agree, would much rather not have to take him to the vets, as he hates it so much.
I'm not sure if I have any fibreplex, but I will go and have a look.
Thank you for the tip about the veggies, I will do that - he never drinks much water.
He is eating just fine, maybe a little slower than normal. I have cut down on pellets and veg to encourage more hay eating, and this morning when I went out to him he had definately eating some hay :) Poops are just very small and dark and there are nowhere near as many as there used to be.
I am going to give the vets a call and see what they say.

Spoken to the vets earlier, and they said as long as he is still eating and pooping I shouldn't be too concerned, but to keep an eye on him.

Cool. Hopefully he is just filling himself up on pellets and veg and the cutting down of those will help.

Been reading all my bunny books, and he could be consitpated, as there is a lot going in, but not much coming out. They say to feed him lots of greens. What do you think? I think there may be a few more poops today so far :)

If you're not comfortable, then take him for a vet visit. That way the vet can examine him. If his tummy feels normal, then there is nothing to worry about, if it feels doughy, or tender, or wrong in anyway then the vet will identify it.

Surely constipation in a rabbit would be either stasis or a blockage though? That's a weird term to use for a rabbit's gut.

I thought that too, but it's in a couple of my books :?. The lady I spoke to at the vets yesterday said stasis. I am keeping a close eye on him today, and if no improvement I am taking him off for a visit to the vet.

I thought that too, but it's in a couple of my books :?. The lady I spoke to at the vets yesterday said stasis. I am keeping a close eye on him today, and if no improvement I am taking him off for a visit to the vet.

Books are not all reliable. That is smacks of someone writing it who doesn't understand how a rabbits gut works.

Its worrying for you, so probably the sooner the better for your sake.

Back