• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mmmm! Not so sure if I should get him U/D He Died!

MarieAnson

Warren Scout
Hello everyone

I have just been to a place close by to me called Dobbies. It is a large garden centre, but the one near me has a pets shops attached to it aswell
I was told by a work colleague that they have a lionhead baby in there who has only recently arrived. I know I shouldn't, but I went to have a look :love:

There animals are kept clean and they have space to move around, however I questioned the staff as to the history of the little buck I was interested in and was horrified to discover that they use a breeder who just sends rabbits to them on a regular basis via a van driver. :shock: and if they aren't what they want they go back. :cry:
They were unable to tell me the history and parentage of the little bun and I did have alarm bells ringing because he has a runny bottom and there were large clumps of sloppy poo in his run with him (along with some normal ones too) His eye also seemed a little watery.
There were also two beautiful young lops next to him, divided by a grill and both of them were sneezing, which worried me and they too came from the same breeder.
This little boy who I went to see is so tiny and whilst he isn't being offered for homing immediately, he looks too tiny and delicate. My heart tells me to get him out of there but my head has alarm bells ringing.

Have any of you come across problems with rabbits from Dobbies?

Last edited:
Omg yes. Our Dobbies is terrible.. They keep french lops in the glass enclosures which are supposed to be for guinea pigs.. They can do 2 jumps max.. They have 4 decent sized enclosures but ruin it by sticking 3 + rabbits in them and 7 + in the biggest.. The rabbits are always huge and they sell stupidly small hutches.. One of which I wouldn't even put a single guinea pig in, even for a sick bay hutch! So bad.. I won't even go into how the birds and fish/turtles etc are kept!

I saw one beautiful tri-coloured buck rabbit in the small enclosure the other week and I just want to buy them all :( But at £30 each and the majority being male, it's impossible :( They had 2 of these rabbits in enclosures next to each other, and were identical. Even when they turned around they both had pure bald patches on their lower back/bum bit.. I did ask the woman and she said it was because they were always licking them. I told her maybe it was because they can hardly move, have no toys and they are behind glass in a very hot part of the shop, even though the doors to the hutches outside are right next to it. (the other enclosures have open tops, whereas those ones are closed up) Tbh, I wouldn't even give a hamster the lack of ventilation those poor things have :( Needless to say, she shot me a dirty look and walked off. Me and my mom have complained numerous times at the state of the rabbits and enclosures and nothing is ever done about it.. :censored:

It's the same with p@h though, and my local garden centre! They haven't got a clue.. Saw a rabbit the other day that was way too small and defo too young to be on it's own.. All they said was that it was rejected.. So they put it straight in to be sold!

I also think the amount of food they give them is so stupid! Way too much.. Same with the guinea pigs, hamsters and gerbils. And it's clear some are over weight, especially with the lack of space they have.. :evil: I wonder how many times they get cleaned out too..

......The End :?
Lol ;)

I have not been able to top thinking about this little bun.
Is it normal that in a new environment and experiencing new food will have caused him to have some runny poos?

To be honest, if you're not sure if you should get him, it probably means you shouldn't, but you really want to.

There could be so many reasons for diarrhoea in a young bunny, to be honest. Speculation won't really help.

I think you should report them to the Council and the RSPCA.

To be honest, if you're not sure if you should get him, it probably means you shouldn't, but you really want to.

There could be so many reasons for diarrhoea in a young bunny, to be honest. Speculation won't really help.

:thumb:

I'd report them to the council too, we did that but the only thing that changed was the height and cleanliness of the water bottles.. Good luck though :rabbit2:

I think the vast majority of us have all had thoughts along that line at some point or another that we see a gorgeous bun in a pet shop/garden centre wherever and want to take it home. Its taken a while but I've now realised that I cant 'rescue' them all, they will be replaced as soon as you buy one, and what if the health issues are serious can you afford the vets bills. I therefore have 4 beautiful rescue buns :D

Went to Dobbies yesterday to get a few provision for the new bun and saw this little chap again, but his breathing seemed very deep and laboured and he was just curled in a corner.
Went back today and hs cage was empty, he passed away overnight :cry:
Such a sad ending to a short life, given that he was no more than 8 weeks old.

His cage had to thickest and foulest smelling lumps of gooey poop. I was so sad.

RIP little fella. You were such a sweetheart. x x x

Oh my god!! im so sorry, the poor little chap :cry:.
im sorry you've had to go through this, i agree i think you should report them.
Binky free little boy. XX

It is really sad and highlights the problem with breeders who only intention is to make lot of money.

I was chatting to the supervisor of the store and asked him why they don't use local breeders but it isn't company policy.
I can't say that is living conditions at Dobbies were bad, they were very good actually, it's just that this little guy was unwell from the day he arrived and he never stood a chance.

I did find another bun. A yr old Lionhead who was called Kaka, but is not named Jaffa, he was needing a forever home.

Pics Added

Here a few pics of the little angel. I took them when I was considering giving him a home.

At least I will remember him and his short life :angel:

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

I have been thinking about this litle chap and worrying that during the time he was at the store he didn't receive veterinary treatment and was left to suffer.
I want to call them to ask, but as I use the store regulary and some of the staff recognise me I am concerned it will make me going there for supplies very awkward. When I pointed out to the staff member on Mon night that his breathing was very laboured he didn't seem too concerned and informed me that he'd had an upset tummy.

I am sure they will know it is me if I were to call and ask the question because I always enquired about him when I went.
What would you do?

I have been thinking about this litle chap and worrying that during the time he was at the store he didn't receive veterinary treatment and was left to suffer.
I want to call them to ask, but as I use the store regulary and some of the staff recognise me I am concerned it will make me going there for supplies very awkward. When I pointed out to the staff member on Mon night that his breathing was very laboured he didn't seem too concerned and informed me that he'd had an upset tummy.

I am sure they will know it is me if I were to call and ask the question because I always enquired about him when I went.
What would you do?

Report them to the council!

Back