• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which VHD vaccination?

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I'm taking the buns for VHD vaccs on Saturday and remember reading on here about one being preferable, which one was it? And is one more likely to cause a reaction than the other? I'm a bit scared after seeing that pic of a big sore patch, can't remember who posted it now! They need their claws clipping too, they're going to HATE me :(

Cylap is the realy nasty one. Lapinject has been known to make them little quiet afterwards. I'd go with Anivac if possible. Good luck!

Lapinject or anivac... cylap is the one that causes most reactions.. although even then it's not every rabbit that reacts.

It's probably Scamp's picture you saw, even with that I'll still be vaccinating next year... just not with cylap!

It might be a good idea to phone the vet asap and ask if they have the one you want in stock. My vet generally uses the dreaded Cylap and has to order in Lapinject or Anivac at my request. I went with Anivac this year with no problems at all :D

I've got to take mine for their VHD jabs next week and i'm worrying too about which one the vet will use. I'd hate for them to get a reaction. Does Cylap cause any long term damage?

CYLAP killed my little Benny last June - hours after he had it - I only took him in for a minor skin problem check up - the vet said he should have the vacc - I would avoid it like the PLAGUE too!!! NEVER again:evil:

I've just rang the vets, they use lapinject, so I said that will be ok. I did ask about Anivac but they wanted to know why, and I didn't know enough to pursue it... They said they haven't had any problems with lapinject so it should be fine.. Fingers crossed! I'm nervous now :/

I've just rang the vets, they use lapinject, so I said that will be ok. I did ask about Anivac but they wanted to know why, and I didn't know enough to pursue it... They said they haven't had any problems with lapinject so it should be fine.. Fingers crossed! I'm nervous now :/

Anivac comes in one dose vials so is a bit more economical for them if they don't get many rabbits to vaccinate. It also isn't in mineral oil so tends to cause less reactions. But with lapinject the reactions don't seem to be so much of an issue anyway.

Back