• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What symptoms do your buns with kidney problems have?

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
As title really. I have a gut feeling with Frankie (girl on left in sig) that something is just not right. I'm hoping to be able to go armed with info to the vets tomorrow so would appreciate any comments.

She needs to be spayed so I am extra scared to put her through the op if something is 'not right'.

Weightloss, unwilling to move about, drinking a lot- that's what Rosie struggled with.

If you're worried then get a blood test run.

what symptoms and problems are you seeing?

She's always drunk alot, but could this be to do with her being such a hay monster? She also stays very very slim. She does orange wee's, her sisters eat exactly the same things but only she does them. Actually she eats more readigrass than they do could that be a link? The vet wasn't concerned though. But it started all of a sudden one day after being a normal colour.
we nearly lost her at 10 weeks due to the imbalance of bacteria giving her diahrrea sp? (can't remember the proper name :oops: ) we really brought her back from the brink and it was a long hard slog to get her properly fit (3 months!) and I wonder if there was any long lasting damage to her.

Normally she doesn't sit still when in or out, but the last couple of days she's been really sleepy (she was fine when out though), and yesterday had to be reminded to drink. She weed less yesterday as a result. But her drinking picked up over night. This morning I noticed she'd done a little wee in the fabric tunnel last night and a few drops had turned into a real sticky looking dark liquid. Would this be more concentrated due to less water?

She's gone off her pellets aswell yesterday (she can usually take them or leave them anyway), but eating veggies fine. She ate less hay aswell, but I'd given her different ones as we'd run out of the other, so perhaps that could be it.

After seeing it all written down I've rung the vets and got her in for 5.50 instead. Could she have a UTI due to underlying issues do you think?

:(

What you described about her generally doesn't sound too worrying, but her behaviour today does suond concerning.

I would be more worried about teeth than about a UTI, but both are possible, as are other things too.

Thank you Sky-O, that's reassuring :)

I'm desperately hoping it's not teeth, I had a dental bunny in the past, but he had an aversion to hay :roll: Frankie eats it non stop, and I hunt out nice long strands, so thought we'd got that covered.

I'll update later with the outcome at the vets.

Hope it goes ok.

We've got a bunny with suspected poor kidney function.

I think he came from a poor litter and was very malnourished when he came to us. His only symptom now is excessive drinking and weeing. No pain or loss of appetite or energy though.

This sounds like it could be more acute than a long term problem, especially with it only coming on in the last couple of days.

Hope it goes ok.

We've got a bunny with suspected poor kidney function.

I think he came from a poor litter and was very malnourished when he came to us. His only symptom now is excessive drinking and weeing. No pain or loss of appetite or energy though.

This sounds like it could be more acute than a long term problem, especially with it only coming on in the last couple of days.

Thank you :) the excess drinking has been for months, just the extra bits the last couple of days.

The vet could feel a build up of fluid, but no solid mass and so has given metclopromide. I have been given a bottle of it to have at home aswell. Everything else seems normal, and her weight has gone up a tiny bit, he was very happy with her graph. So think we've caught it early enough, feeling much more positive now, now just need her to tuck into her food and get pooping :)

Back