• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tortoise and rabbit?

crabby163

New Kit
Hi there, I have a 18 month old tortoise and have just rescued a 10 week old rabbit, both mainly indoors. I was just wondering whether there would be any chance I would be able to let them out together or whether this would be a bad idea? So far I haven't done so as I didn't want to risk it without a more professional and knowledgeable opinion.... Please help... x

Hi there, I have a 18 month old tortoise and have just rescued a 10 week old rabbit, both mainly indoors. I was just wondering whether there would be any chance I would be able to let them out together or whether this would be a bad idea? So far I haven't done so as I didn't want to risk it without a more professional and knowledgeable opinion.... Please help... x

As long as you're supervising the entire time, I don't see a problem. I often have different species out while I'm watching them. Like parrots and rabbits, hamsters and rabbits, ducks and rabbits etc

yes, thank you for the advise, I am going to try it tonight, it would be lovely if the got on. my tortoise has never bitten me but she has bitten one of my friends before when she felt under pressure..... i'd never forgive myself if she injured my bunny... I will keep you updated about what happens to see if anyone can interpret their behaviour together.
thank you :)
*Heidi*

At 18 months old I doubt any tortoise (unless its a large species such as a sully or is in fact older than 18 months) could do any damage to a rabbit. I don't let mine run together, but if they perhaps did I doubt they'd really acknowledge one another at all.

Helen xx

I'd just keep a close eye out. Unless you have a moody tortoise I wouldn't think it would be a problem.
I let my cockatiel out with the rabbits and they mostly just ignore eachother anyway and go about their own business

I have had a tortoise (med spur thighed who was 60-100years) live happily free range with my buns, I now have a 1 year old Horsefield who happily has free range time out with buns.

SDC15014.jpg

I can't see a tortoise and a rabbit doing any serious damage to each other, but just keep an eye on them :)

I remember seeing a tortoise who attacks cats everytime one went near him! :shock:

I have had a tortoise (med spur thighed who was 60-100years) live happily free range with my buns, I now have a 1 year old Horsefield who happily has free range time out with buns.

SDC15014.jpg

awwww wow!!! that is amazing!!! my tortoise looks about the same size as yours, if not a bit bigger but my bunny is quite small, we think he maybe part netherland dwarf... i tried them together last night; they both seemed inquisitive and Lilo (my tortoise) followed fiver (my bunny) around quite a bit, but then ignored each other after a while. thank you so much for the advice, that picture is so amazing!!! i love it :) <3 xxxxx

Back