• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore Hocks? pic Update p4

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed Frasier had a bit of flattened poop stuck to his back paw. I thought he would get it himself but he hasn't so I picked him up on my lap and carefully pulled it off with a sensitive baby wipe. It came off easily but then there is a bit of dark stuff (poo?) that is stuck on his skin I think. I kept trying very gently to remove it with a baby wipe but it didn't work. It didn't seem to hurt him - he is eating and hopping around as normal.

I'm wondering about trying it with some warm water and shampoo. Or is this a sore hock?? I foget he is getting old now - 8 this year.

Please excuse the dirty paws - I have a new litter tray (a planting tray) that I'm using as it is flat so Darcy can just walk in without big hops (possible arthritis). But the downside to this is that all four of them love digging and flinging megazorb all over the place which leave their paws getting dirtier on the plastic. :roll:

spawy.png

Last edited:
Looks like dried in poo to me, not a sore hock, it you wet it with cooled boiled water it should come off if it is poo.

It's difficult to tell it could be a dirty bald spot, I'd avoid using wipes just use cooled boiled water with a pinch of salt and soAk the one paw in it when warm use a small bowl & while it's submerged gently rub under the water and then hold it in kitchen roll to absorb excess & gently towel dry, if it goes then it's fine if it's bald you'll have to make the surface more covered in hay.

VickiP thanks for the instructions. It came off quickly and easily. At first Frasier panicked when I put his paw in the bowl so he got a bit soaked. I have dried him off with a towel but he is not happy with me.

Okay there is plenty of fur on his back paw but there is a very small sore pink spot. Could this be a sore hock? I have some fuciderm cream can I use it for this? It doesn't appear to hurt him.

VickiP thanks for the instructions. It came off quickly and easily. At first Frasier panicked when I put his paw in the bowl so he got a bit soaked. I have dried him off with a towel but he is not happy with me.

Okay there is plenty of fur on his back paw but there is a very small sore pink spot. Could this be a sore hock? I have some fuciderm cream can I use it for this? It doesn't appear to hurt him.

No it is not likely to be a sore hock, just a pink callous - very normal on the rear leg heel. When it cracks/reddens/bleeds - then it becomes a sore hock. As there is good fur coverage I would NOT apply any cream to this, you risk making it worse for many reasons I don't have time to explain but if you read Chloemurray's thread on sore hocks in Health Vicki P explains it perfectly. :):wave:

Just keep it under observation for now, keep bunny active/mobile, make sure living accomodation/litter tray is absorbent, clean and cushioned and it won't deteriorate.

Thanks PL. You've put my mind at rest. Frasier is a housebunny and his main living area now is carpeted so hopefully this make it better on the paw.

Thanks PL. You've put my mind at rest. Frasier is a housebunny and his main living area now is carpeted so hopefully this make it better on the paw.

Hopefully so. It does seem to depend on the carpet pile and type. Polypropelene appears to create more static and friction than wool types and thin pile provides less cushioning than thick. But the times of risk are when bunny is at rest with feet tucked up - weight on the hocks. If you give him something really soft and cushioned (duvet, vet bed, blankets) where he most likes to spend his time sitting then this will help immensely. :):wave:

Its one of the problems with having house bunnies. Ive just noticed one of mine has some pink spots, which Ive missed. Ive applied sudocreme.

Thanks for the tip of putting hay on top of the megazorb. I usually fill the whole tray with megazorb and then cover half of it with expensive food hay and they toilet in the bare part. I now have covered the bare (toilet) part with cheaper hay. It seems to have stopped them wanting to dig up the megazorb flinging it everywhere. :D

Frasier's paw looks fine today. Its all nicely covered and padded with fur. But given his age I'm going to keep my eye on his paws.

This has been of help to me too. A few of my buns have pink spots on their heels. They are light pink but I was worried! Great to know they are just calluses and to watch for them reddening. Will keep checking along with the bottom checks! I have ordered some foam matting to put over the concrete in their runs to make life a bit more comfy.

Just wanted to say thanks again for this advice. I used the technique to clean Annie and Darcy's back paws tonight. They got a bit stained during bonding and with the digging and flinging the megazorb out of their litter tray. Thats fixed now (earlier post) but I wanted to help them along with their pawsies. They weren't happy about it but have already forgiven me so it couldn't have been that bad. :D

Back