• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's the safest antibiotic after baytril?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Skye has a mild respiratory infection. She's not in any apparent discomfort, is eating, moving, and breathing well, and the vet listened to her chest and says it sounds clear.

She's been on Baytril for a little over two weeks and it hasn't helped at all, if anything she's got slightly worse.

My vet is willing to try other abx but as Skye isn't severely ill yet, is reluctant to use anything really hazardous - we have had good results using Ceporex on one of the rescue buns but on looking in the big book of drugs (I'm sure it has a proper name - it's like a drug catalogue, that the vet has) the possible risks are a little too high for my liking.

She's going to research other options and phone me back tomorrow. While I wait....do any of you have recommendations for a "relatively" safe antibiotic? Which ones have you used with success? Did you see any side effects?

NB for anyone who remembers the fiasco I had trying to get treatment for Sorrel's respiratory infection....you will note that this is a big improvement :)

I always ask for Septrin, it is banana flavoured and my buns love it, I just have to stick the syringe through the bars of the run and Patch takes it like that, like it is a treat :lol:

I once left the finished syringe in the living room when he lived indoors, I caught him running round with it in his mouth before he dropped it at my feet as if to say "more please"

I've had septrin before for Milly my dental chinchilla. She was quite poorly at the time, but septrin was perfectly safe for her.

That's great everyone, thanks, I will have a chat with the vet later.

Jane thankyou for taking the time to help me when you have so much else on your plate, I really appreciate it :)

Back