• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unwell 15wk old bunny

izzerie

New Kit
Wilbur, my 15wk old baby bunny is sick :( I took him to the vets because he has been making snorting noises on and off, breathing fast, not eating so much, feels very hot all over and is very agitated- it's like be can't figure out what to do with himself and then gets angry

Anyway, a really good vet saw him and she was very thorough with him, looking in his eyes, ears and mouth, feeling him from head to bottom, listening to his chest, taking a thorough history etc. She said there isn't any fluid on his lungs but there is "increased sounds". She took his temperature and said it was 39* which I didn't know but is apparently quite high for a rabbit! She concluded that he probably has a respiratory infecion and prescribed some baytril (0.6ml twice daily for a 1.7kg rabbit- does that sound enough?) I am to try baytril for 3 days, if he hasn't improved then I have to take him back and they'll try something else but she said they are limited because of his age.

Anyway, my question is- how can I bring his temperature down? My flat is the hottest place on earth and I'm doing what I can but he's still too warm. I've got the blind closed (it's a black out so it'll block the sun) and the window open and I have an insulating cover on his water bottle to keep it cool. Is there anything else I can do for him? I'm on very limited funds (the vets bill wasn't cheap!) so I need cheap solutions!

How about freezing water in small bottles and placing those around him, under some towels?

I really hope he gets better soon.

Did they prescribe an anti-inflammatory? I would expect that with a RTI, and also for a temp too?

Thanks for the ideas :) mum has lent me one of those Ice Pod things from P@H- he seems to like laying on top of it. I'll give his ears a damp down in a bit as well.

All the vet prescribed was baytril @ 0.6ml twice per day. I did ask about his temperature- the vet said it would come down as the baytril fights the infection and that I just need to try to keep him cool.

He's out with me at the moment and he seems very agitated- he constantly wants my attention and cuddles and if he doesn't get it he very vigorously grooms me until I hug him. But then this makes him hot and then he gets agitated and pants a lot. This isn't like him- he likes attention and cuddles but he is also very happy to run off and play if I can't/don't give him attention and then he'll try again later.

He is drinking but not as much as he usually does when it's hot- I am trying to encourage him to drink by providing extra bottles and a bowl so he has a choice. He also won't eat his hay- his eating his pellets and fresh greens but I haven't seen him eat his hay all day.

I am worried about him, he's not himself. He's usually such a happy little boy and he just seems worked up and panicky :cry:

sounds like you are doing all the right things. Y ou could try a bowl of water to see if he wants to lap it instead of bottles? My Barney likes lapping when he doesnt feel great.

Dont worry about the hay eating while he is poorly, he will be fine for a few days if he has pellets. Have you given him any fruit? a few small pieces might perk him up and maybe the sugars will help? thats just a gues though. If he doesnt improve soon though I would take more action, he might need somethign stronger than baytril if it doesnt work soon.

Last edited:
What's you bathroom like? If there's a tiled floor he may be more comfortable in there. I agree with the ice pod/chinchilla block, and damping his ears down. Poor boy. :( Try him with some nice cold cucumber too. The high water content should help to keep him hydrated.

The bathroom has a lino floor which isn't much better than the rest of the flat really, it doesn't have any windows either and the light bulb has just gone (we're using a camping lantern to go to the loo :oops:)

I've just had the last of my cucumber for lunch today- whoops! I shall go out first thing and get him some though- I would go out now but neither hubby or I drive.

It's almost time for bed so I'm gonna put him in his cage with a bowl and a bottle of water, some fresh green and pellets, damp ears and his ice pod and see if he settles without me.

The vet said give it three days which would be Thursday- would that be soon enough to go back if he isn't any better?

Sorry for all the questions but this is the first time my bunny has been sick! Give me a sick ratty and I'm fine, give me a sick Wilbur and I fall to pieces!

Oh and if anyone has any tips on getting baytril into him on my own that would be great- hubby is around to help with the evening dose but not the morning dose!

I think it's "let's see how many of us can get sick" week in our household at the moment! Honestly, in the last week we have had a ratty with an infected facial wound requiring emergency vet treatment on bank holiday monday, a rat with a sinus infection, all the rats had to be treated for mites because the baby rats got them and now Wilbur is ill!

Right, having seen your location, can I ask which vets you used?

ETA- That's not a completely random question, I'm well versed in the vets of Ipswich and surrounding areas.

Last edited:
I have to go to bed shortly, but the only vets in the area I would trust are Orwell Vets Group, and I see only Charles or Katherine. They've never let me or any of my large, complicated bunny crew down.

I tend to tell people adopting from the RSPCA to never be afraid to seek a second opinion.

Also, wherever you choose to go, ensure that you go back before Thursday because your bunny is struggling and suffering without the anti inflammatories.

I have to go to bed shortly, but the only vets in the area I would trust are Orwell Vets Group, and I see only Charles or Katherine. They've never let me or any of my large, complicated bunny crew down.

I tend to tell people adopting from the RSPCA to never be afraid to seek a second opinion.

Also, wherever you choose to go, ensure that you go back before Thursday because your bunny is struggling and suffering without the anti inflammatories.

I am also going to sleep, but my recommedation is to follow Sky-O's advice. err on the side of caution, lack of knowledge by vets can be very bad for rabbits.

I am also going to sleep, but my recommedation is to follow Sky-O's advice. err on the side of caution, lack of knowledge by vets can be very bad for rabbits.

Agreed. I've had my own bunnies and foster bunnies, and also known other people's bunnies, suffer with the incompetence of local vets (at varying practices) so this is like a passionate area of mine. No bunny should suffer due to vet incompetence.

Right, having seen your location, can I ask which vets you used?

ETA- That's not a completely random question, I'm well versed in the vets of Ipswich and surrounding areas.

I use Barn Veterinary Practice on Ashcroft Rd- they are an accredited small animal practice with the royal college and highly recommended to me and I've found them to be really good so far. I was impressed with how thoroughly Wilbur was checked over and how much the vet listened to me and what I had to say about how he's been and how his behaviour is unusual.

I did use Orwell Vets and actually didn't find them very good at all- the vets were unhelpful and unfriendly, they didn't seem to listen to me and they were hideously expensive!

I shall see how he is in the morning and then plan what I am going to do. I'll post in the morning when I know what kind of condition he is in. Thanks everyone :)

I use Barn Veterinary Practice on Ashcroft Rd- they are an accredited small animal practice with the royal college and highly recommended to me and I've found them to be really good so far. I was impressed with how thoroughly Wilbur was checked over and how much the vet listened to me and what I had to say about how he's been and how his behaviour is unusual.

I did use Orwell Vets and actually didn't find them very good at all- the vets were unhelpful and unfriendly, they didn't seem to listen to me and they were hideously expensive!

I shall see how he is in the morning and then plan what I am going to do. I'll post in the morning when I know what kind of condition he is in. Thanks everyone :)

Its been a long time since I used the Barn, but they were the practice that successfully lost the lives of 5 of my animals due to their incompetence, some more directly than others. I don't know all the vets there anymore though.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the vets I use. I've come across one vet there who is not great or very interested in rabbits, but everyone else I have seen has been excellent. As I said, I only see Charles or Katherine.

I hope that Wilbur is doing ok and hopefully improving this morning. I also hope you can get a vets appointment to get him some anti inflams.

Wilbur is a different bunny this morning!

He's still not completely right- he's still got dull eyes, breathing a bit fast and making noises sometimes and still flops out to catch up with himself but in between time he seems happier, I got him out and he didn't want to sit with me, he wanted me to have a run around. He's cooler today as well :) I'm going to carry on doing all I can to keep him cool but he's looking a bit brighter and i'm much happier today as well! I'm gonna keep a close eye on him and if he looks like he did yesterday I'll go straight back to the vets!

Back