• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ant Powder?

mattyp

Warren Veteran
I have got a bit of an ant problem in my house at the minute so desperately need to stop it asap!

If I put ant powder down by the doors is there any chance of the rabbits trying to eat it? Or will they ignore it mostly?

It should be fairly easy to stop them having any contact, i'm just worried that if I let them free range in the garden they may come into contact with it by the doorway. :?

I have got a bit of an ant problem in my house at the minute so desperately need to stop it asap!

If I put ant powder down by the doors is there any chance of the rabbits trying to eat it? Or will they ignore it mostly?

It should be fairly easy to stop them having any contact, i'm just worried that if I let them free range in the garden they may come into contact with it by the doorway. :?

I have heard that if you put salt by your door, they won't pass it, I would be careful of anything poisonous with bunski's around

You could also use chalk... ordinary blackboard chalk & rub that along the threshold... ants won't cross it :)

You could also use chalk... ordinary blackboard chalk & rub that along the threshold... ants won't cross it :)

Really? I have loads of coloured chalk will that be okay? Why wont they cross or is it a mystery?

And salt...what are they demons?! :lol:

Really? I have loads of coloured chalk will that be okay? Why wont they cross or is it a mystery?

yes, no really though, it's the same as chalk, they just won't pass for some reason :?

yes, no really though, it's the same as chalk, they just won't pass for some reason :?

Okay I will try those! Will put ant powder in the front garden as that's not for buns! But will stick salt and chalk around the back!

Thanks though :D

Okay I will try those! Will put ant powder in the front garden as that's not for buns! But will stick salt and chalk around the back!

Thanks though :D

And then stand in the middle of the circle you have drawn, strip naked and pray to Satan :p

An ant trap (or several) would be safer than powder. They are shallow boxes with ant sizes entrances you put gel like bait in. That way other animals can't get at them.

An ant trap (or several) would be safer than powder. They are shallow boxes with ant sizes entrances you put gel like bait in. That way other animals can't get at them.

i've got one of these on my fireplace atm. not seen so many ants about:D

i used ant bait traps and gel in my bin where the buns didnt go:lol:

best thing i did...follow the bloomin ants and deocraters selaer filled the gaps up they were coming in from...ive done it three times so far in three different places in the last few years...so far so good...none yet...still early tho:roll:

boric acid...some other stuff..i think its one htat makes em swell up and burst..diatomeous earth or whatever it is spelt like:oops::lol:

id go safest for buns..i cant put down powder in the garden....but then ive not ventured out there yet:oops:

A mix of bicarbonate of soda & icing sugar. They take it back to the nest them the bicarbonate of soda kills then when they eat it, not nice, but neither are ants!

I read sugar does the trick, personally I would try sealing up entry points I'm not in favour of causing unnecessary suffering to any living thing, I expect the ants where there long before you and they'll be there long after aswell. Either way they don't mean any harm they're just trying to live, having rabbits I wouldnt use any form of pesticide - saying that even if I didn't have rabbits I'd avoid polluting the earth with chemicals, sparrows eat ants if there's anyway you can encourage them near your door.

Ant traps as Tamsin said, or this stuff called DE - Diatomaceous Earth - crushed diatoms (seashells). Totally safe for all animals, humans etc... even if ingested. It works by drying out the insects. I use it on the lawn, patio etc but it can even be rubbed into a dog/cat's fur apparently to kill fleas/lice etc...
I get it from here:
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=6&cat=1&id_product=127

Thanks PL! I used the chalk and salt trick last night and it seems to have reduced the problem drastically! But I think the DE stuff may be a more perminant solution!

I'm not sure why they don't cross the line.... I draw a very thick line about an inch wide, then sit & watch them... they get as far as the line, but never cross. Not sure if the chalk breaks the scent path..... :?
Not tried coloured, but doubt it would make any difference..... just look prettier :lol:

I'm not sure why they don't cross the line.... I draw a very thick line about an inch wide, then sit & watch them... they get as far as the line, but never cross. Not sure if the chalk breaks the scent path..... :?
Not tried coloured, but doubt it would make any difference..... just look prettier :lol:

I had pink chalk! I was drawing circles around them yesterday and watching them get really confused!

I'm so vindictive! :evil:

Back