• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How often do you vaccinate?

How often do you vaccinate?

• Both Myxi and VHD yearly

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Myxi 6 monthly and VHD yearly

Votes: 40 83.3%
  • Other- Please explain below

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
As per recommendation.

bi-annually for myxi (Biscuit only, Not Ginger, comrpromised)
annually for VHD.

10 of my bunnies get 6 monthly myxi and yearly VHD

Bluebell is overdue on both as his immunocompromised and presently vaccinations would do more harm than good.

myxi twice a year and vhd once.

overdue vhd at the minute though. bisc having his this week but matt isn't well enough for his yet.

All as recommended, except Tulip, as she is too ill. She is not vacs fro anything, never even had VHD vacs:( Don't think she realises she is ill though, she is busy throwing my sons toy cars about as I write:D

Myxi every 6 months and VHD every year, one of the vets said Beano wasn't a case to be vaccinated every 6 months for myxi but I still get her and Gordon done then.

As per recommendations but it depends on how Smudges snuffles are at the time and whether he is on any medications at that time :)

I put both yearly but should have clicked other. Trio have myxi every 10 months but Blossom every 8, VHD once a year. Simply because my vet said they still have immunity against myxi for a while after 6 months and I'm not in a high risk area.

The reason Bloss has myxi every 8 months and other 3 have it every 10 is because I take them all at the same time but I got Blossom first vaccinated by herself when I got her which was 2 months after the other lot had been vaccinated. :wave:

Myxi 6 monthly for both.
Obie has VHD (no cylap) yearly. Pie cannot have VHD due to her gut problems (the reaction causes her to go into bad stasis). :wave:

I posted the details over in Rabbit chat but May is National Vaccination Month! with vets offering free or reduced cost jabs for pets including bunnies, especially ones who are out of date or never had any.

Ben gets Myxi 6 monthly, due his second jab this week in fact (please let it be free!), and his VHD due in December.

I admit he's the first rabbits I've ever had vaccinated, that and neutering weren't common practise back then. But so glad its finally taken off and is more openly discussed/offered. Not just dogs and cats who have unwanted babies!

I haven't vaccinated my rabbits at all yet but will be doing it for the first time for all of them in September.

But.. I will be vaccinating them all yearly, so I choose yearly.

Back