• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I try again for a foursome?

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
Due to possibly starting a family next year, I need to start thinking about moving Jose and Rainbow outside (as they live in the bedroom that will be the nursery), and I was wondering whether it would be worth trying for a foursome again and trying to bond them in with Paddy and Peaches outside?

Here is the original thread from when the bond was attempted before - post 97 explains why it didnt work out :(

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=212448

I always said that I wouldnt try them again, but now I dont know what to do??

Does anyone have any buns that originally didnt get on, but now live happily together?

From the title, thank god it's not in general chat:shock::lol:

Have you considered a rescue to try for you?

From the title, thank god it's not in general chat:shock::lol:

Have you considered a rescue to try for you?

:lol: maybe I should have phrased the title slightly differently

Fat Fluffs were the rescue who tried originally, I just wonder whether it would worth trying again

I think you should try again.
Maybe ask a different rescue to help. I imagine different rescues will use their own techniques in bonding, so a different place might suit your bunnys more?

after reading that old thread, i agree, try again :wave:

It sounded so positive, something must have just unsettled them to cause that perhaps.

See personally my way of bonding i would have restricted the space down again, i go back a step if theres trouble. Its up to you whether you want to risk it but I think they could work out, sounded an easier bond to start with than mine were and it took me 5 weeks and several set backs before i managed to bond them and even then it was a gradual increase of space outside too.

Thanks guys, I'd be so happy if a foursome worked out :love: Plus it would save me having to sort out new outdoor accomodation for Jose and Rainbow outside

See personally my way of bonding i would have restricted the space down again, i go back a step if theres trouble. Its up to you whether you want to risk it but I think they could work out, sounded an easier bond to start with than mine were and it took me 5 weeks and several set backs before i managed to bond them and even then it was a gradual increase of space outside too.

Not sure how I'd restrict the outside space?? Paddy and Peaches currently live in a 4x5 playhouse inside a 12x9 aviary. Would I just leave them in the playhouse when I got them home to start with? Then how would I increase the space?

Thanks guys, I'd be so happy if a foursome worked out :love: Plus it would save me having to sort out new outdoor accomodation for Jose and Rainbow outside

Not sure how I'd restrict the outside space?? Paddy and Peaches currently live in a 4x5 playhouse inside a 12x9 aviary. Would I just leave them in the playhouse when I got them home to start with? Then how would I increase the space?

Well mine were inside for 5 weeks then the crate they were in i moved into the shed, everytime you move newly bonded buns you risk unsettling them. I moved mine out early morning and kept them in the crate with the door open, it did unsettle them slightly, then the next day once they had been ok the the rest of the day before and overnight i fenced off abit of the shed and left the cage door open. Eventually i gave them the whole shed and then the days after slowly allowed them time in the run, any sign that they were becoming unsettled i shut them back in the shed. Once they got used to that and were in the shed/run for a week with no problems i started to free range them.

The longer you have them bonded the stronger it becomes, the first few months are very fragile and its easy to end up back at square one if you rush them. Trust me its sooooo worth it in the end. :)

Well mine were inside for 5 weeks then the crate they were in i moved into the shed, everytime you move newly bonded buns you risk unsettling them. I moved mine out early morning and kept them in the crate with the door open, it did unsettle them slightly, then the next day once they had been ok the the rest of the day before and overnight i fenced off abit of the shed and left the cage door open. Eventually i gave them the whole shed and then the days after slowly allowed them time in the run, any sign that they were becoming unsettled i shut them back in the shed. Once they got used to that and were in the shed/run for a week with no problems i started to free range them.

The longer you have them bonded the stronger it becomes, the first few months are very fragile and its easy to end up back at square one if you rush them. Trust me its sooooo worth it in the end. :)

:D I get so jealous when I see everyone's groups on here all happy together :love: Rainbow would be happier too as he'd have Paddy to snuggle/chill out with :love: (Jose doesn't do snuggling or chilling :roll: I do feel sorry Rainbow sometimes :( )

I think I may go for it then :shock: I'm thinking it would probs be best for me to try the foursome this summer rather than waiting until next year - as I may be pregnant this time next year and if I waited and it didnt work out, I'd have the palarva (sp?) of having to get their separate accomodation sorted out as well

Spoke with the OH last night and he thinks it would be a good idea to try them as a four again too

Now just need to find a rescue brave enough to try it :lol:

Back