• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets making me feel guilty!!

Becky:)

Alpha Buck
My four are due their myxo vaccs, normally I take any of our animals on my days off (week days) but as its all four rabbits its such a hard work trying to get all four in and out the car /vets I need help which means it needs to be a SAturday morning appointment, so I ran up and the nurse says oh well you will be taking up Saturday appintoment time times can't you came for this in the eveing I say know she carries on booking whilst huffing, then she goes well we are open in the evenings why can't you come then? To which I reply I can't physically bring 4 rabbits by myself it has to be saturday to which she says nothing but carries on. What I find frustrating is last week I needed to take my dog on a Saturday for something totally non emergency and they hare happy as larry to give me an appointment, I don't think she has much regard for the importance of rabbits or their vaccinations, I use this vet for all my animals they take so much of my money and I think its very rude! But maybe I am over reacting?

No, you are not over reacting, if it were me then a complaint would be on it's way to them, YOU are the customer and they should treat you with respect

You should try taking 14 to the vets by yourself. :lol:

I would wonder whether if actually its not to do with it being rabbits, but because you need a block of likely four appointments together. I'm not sure mine would be happy with that on a Saturday if there was a way for you to do it at another time. She has booked the appointment, so you did get the result you wanted, so I would just try not to worry about it.

My vets don't like to book routine appointments for stuff like vaccinations on Saturdays either. They only make an exception for people who can't get during the week.

Do you not have a car? I think if you are taking public transport, they should definitely make an effort to work around what is most convenient for you.

It take two appointments, what gets my goat is when i've had an emergency like when I discovered an open abscess on Billys foot and it was a work day and I couldn't get there until after work they were all grumpy then about me needing a late appointment, I do have a car but Billy is a giant and its hard work with all the carriers and never do they even try to help me as I struggle trying to open doors etc. I think I am a grumpster but I feel she was rude!!

You should try taking 14 to the vets by yourself. :lol:

I would wonder whether if actually its not to do with it being rabbits, but because you need a block of likely four appointments together. I'm not sure mine would be happy with that on a Saturday if there was a way for you to do it at another time. She has booked the appointment, so you did get the result you wanted, so I would just try not to worry about it.

14!? Can they not come to you!?!

I regularly take 5 or 6 cariers on my own and I'm only a 5'1'' weakling (plus my car is tiny). If I can do it, anyone can! :lol:

I regularly take 5 or 6 cariers on my own and I'm only a 5'1'' weakling (plus my car is tiny). If I can do it, anyone can! :lol:

:thumb: I do it because I have to. I do it in a morning and then likely sleep for the rest of the day to recover :lol:. Its better to go to them than them come to us- financially that is. I enough chose my new car based on whether or not I could fit the bunnies in because its a necessity.

Well I am a teacher and having staff meetings / clubs /planning/marking/ assessment (busy!) to do in the evenings and two dogs to walk. I love have all my animals and look after them to a high standard and think, as I am paying them for a service and they are open I should be able to take them on a Saturday morning if it suits me best. At the end of the day if an emergency rings up I would happily wait for them to be seen first.

Well I am a teacher and having staff meetings / clubs /planning/marking/ assessment (busy!) to do in the evenings and two dogs to walk. I love have all my animals and look after them to a high standard and think, as I am paying them for a service and they are open I should be able to take them on a Saturday morning if it suits me best. At the end of the day if an emergency rings up I would happily wait for them to be seen first.

Perhaps explain to them that you don't mind waiting?

My vets only have one vet working on a Saturday, and people sometimes get really annoyed at having to wait due to an emergency.

My four are due their myxo vaccs, normally I take any of our animals on my days off (week days) but as its all four rabbits its such a hard work trying to get all four in and out the car /vets I need help which means it needs to be a SAturday morning appointment, so I ran up and the nurse says oh well you will be taking up Saturday appintoment time times can't you came for this in the eveing I say know she carries on booking whilst huffing, then she goes well we are open in the evenings why can't you come then? To which I reply I can't physically bring 4 rabbits by myself it has to be saturday to which she says nothing but carries on. What I find frustrating is last week I needed to take my dog on a Saturday for something totally non emergency and they hare happy as larry to give me an appointment, I don't think she has much regard for the importance of rabbits or their vaccinations, I use this vet for all my animals they take so much of my money and I think its very rude! But maybe I am over reacting?

I shouldn't think this is the case. More likely that they are extremely busy on Saturday mornings, and possibly don't have the same number of vets working, so encourage people to have daytime/ evening appointments if possible.

I have to take three carriers - it's just what you have to do if you have more than one rabbit/pet to take.

After I took five of my eight in for their myxi jabs my vet offered to come out to me next time. I work two jobs but arranged it well in advance at a time I could work around. Could you maybe co-ordinate your vaccinations with school holidays? My vet is a one man practice and he prefers not to do vaccinations on a Saturday.

Part of the problem at my vet is that it is on a very busy main road and I often can't park outside so have to walk a fair way from a side street. I have arthritis in my neck and shoulders which means I can't carry anything heavy very far.

He didn't charge me any more for coming to me and the buns were far, far less stressed - and I didn't have to struggle going backwards and forwards with carriers.

I think the receptionist could have been more polite though - as you say, you are the customer.

Can't organise in school holidays - they are due when they are due. My vet practice has 3 vets on at a time. They often do not have great customer service and I have never been particularly happy with the bad choices they have made for some of my rabbits, they are however, the best of a bad bunch in my area.

how close can you park? when i have been with 3 carriers the receptionist has helped me with trips to the car? thank god though Bella and Flops can now share! If you are a regular customer at your vets then I would talk to them and explain, try and make friends with the receptionists/nurses and explain that you have several rabbits (who you could take elsewhere if they want to be difficult). Unfortunately/fortunately all the staff at mine have go to know me and my hubby from us being there nearly every week with Barney since Christmas and I think they recognise my voice when I call :oops:

just had a thought, woudl they provide you with the syringes for you to inject yourself? not sure what the rules are on vacinnes but I have been injecting Barney with antibiotics and metacam at home to save me going in every other day.

Can't organise in school holidays - they are due when they are due. My vet practice has 3 vets on at a time. They often do not have great customer service and I have never been particularly happy with the bad choices they have made for some of my rabbits, they are however, the best of a bad bunch in my area.

But you could bring them forward slightly? My rabbits have at various times had jabs moved to more convienent times for me (and so they all go together)Yes she should have been more polite but she made the appointment. It could be she will get earache for a block booking on a Sat.

I don't think it was right for them to make you feel bad, they could have at least asked you more politely if you could possibly go at another time :? I have 10 rabbits to take for their vaccinations and the receptionists never have a problem booking a block appointment at a time that suits me, as long as I give them plenty of notice.

In that case, when you go, perhaps speak to the vet about the attitude of his receptionist. It may well be that she is just doing what she has been told by the vets re Saturday morning appointments. I feel you need to have a good relationship with the vets and their receptionists for things to 'work' between you so it might be worth trying to clear up any misunderstanding.

just had a thought, woudl they provide you with the syringes for you to inject yourself? not sure what the rules are on vacinnes but I have been injecting Barney with antibiotics and metacam at home to save me going in every other day.

I would imagine injecting a/b is ok to do at home but the myxi jab is a different matter

Back