• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Operation sore hocks. UD been to vets

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Okay, so all three of my buns have sore feet. Nahla's I've caught VERY early, Cupcake's and Benji's feet are worse. None are showing any signs of pain and all are acting normally, but obviously I'm worried.

On the vet's advice, and some people on here, I've been putting sudocrem on their feet twice a day, and have been changing their litter boxes like nobody's business.

However, their feet were not getting better. They weren't getting worse either though:? Then someone told me that they had to take their buns off megazorb as it gave them sore feet... and then someone on youtube told me that they even had to take their horses off it as it gave themmmm sore feet.

So, the bunnies are no longer on megazorb, just soft hay and fleece, and I'm still sudocrem-ing twice a day. I'm going to give it a week, and if there's still no change, then back to the vets we go for some antibiotics or something:roll:

Last edited:
Just to make it a bit clearer, all 3 have developed sore hocks since being on megazorb... And they've only been on megazorb for about a month, which is a shame as I now have a virtually full bag which I can't use:lol:

:lol:

When I had a serious sore-hocker - I used a quilt:oops: You can get double ones from Asda for a fiver, which was good cos he was a un-uneutered male so I replaced. Under the quilt was rubber matting, Litter tray was newspaper then hay

Worked cos his hocks went from bleeding mess to healed:D

Sending lots of vibes for your buns x

Do all your buns live together BTW? It might be significant to getting to the bottom of the problem.

Sending lots of vibes for your buns x

Do all your buns live together BTW? It might be significant to getting to the bottom of the problem.

No they don't, I'm bonding them at the end of the month:/

I don't really want to continue with the megazorb as it seems that's what has caused the problem.

Benji and Cupcake are now booked in at the vets tomorrow, as I think one of Benji''s hocks has an infection and I'm worried Cupcake's is going the same way:cry::cry:

I just read this I'm on my phone so apologies for errors in advance lol - do you mean you use megazorb in litter trays or as a surface for them to live on, sore hocks are generally best treated by attempting to simulate a natural surface so ideally a large amount of time on grass or by layering hay to at least 4 inches thick so as a cheaper alternative straw first then hay, I would avoid putting anything on them personally because you are flattening the fur surrounding the soreness & softening the skin which of anything will take longer to regrow hair & is more likely to be softer & susceptible to abrasions.

Infected hocks are different & require veterinary treatment but for sore hocks you should encourage bunny to move around on grass or as I say a thick layer of hay, they are capable of working out to lie with legs stretched back to relieve pressure when sore.

Ps megazorb is ideal as litter in trays covered in hay, buns don't really we'd to come in contact with it & it's very absorbent & actually cheaper than shavings I think, the horse you mentioned was probably spending too long standing on it I'd say & again should have had straw over the top I'd imagine.

I haven't had to deal with sore hocks before so have no advice to add, (although like VikiP said a very thick layer of hay everywhere could help?) But..

Non-sore-feetsie-healing vibes are on their way for all three xx

I would be suprised if megazorb was the issue, some buns are just prone to this.

Domino has an abscess in his hock, he saw the vet today. x

Like I said Cupcake and Benji are going to the vet tomorrow (no appt's tonight:() to get treatment for any infection. Nahla's are MUCH better, they're just pink now so with her I'll just make sure she's on a thick layer of hay.

I really do think it's the megazorb that has caused this though.

Most vets tell you to switch to megazorb with sore hocks because its less abrasive than shavings, so i really dont see how, but you know your buns better than anyone.

It could be they have very sensitive hocks and even megazorb isnt enough to keep them at bay, good job they didnt have shavings! xx

I would be suprised if megazorb was the issue, some buns are just prone to this.

Domino has an abscess in his hock, he saw the vet today. x

Domino's looks similar to Ben's... do you have any advice of what I should ask for at the vets.. any treatments I should skip/definitely try? x

Like I said Cupcake and Benji are going to the vet tomorrow (no appt's tonight:() to get treatment for any infection. Nahla's are MUCH better, they're just pink now so with her I'll just make sure she's on a thick layer of hay.

I really do think it's the megazorb that has caused this though.

Do you not cover it then? I'd say the sudocream has irritated them more tbh it's not really the right product if anything for cleaning some salt boiled water & thoroughly drying them would be better, a thick thick layer of hay on straw or grass is ideal prevention is better than cure with hocks I think, best of luck at the vets.

Do you not cover it then? I'd say the sudocream has irritated them more tbh it's not really the right product if anything for cleaning some salt boiled water & thoroughly drying them would be better, a thick thick layer of hay on straw or grass is ideal prevention is better than cure with hocks I think, best of luck at the vets.

Thankyou for all your advice:)

Domino's looks similar to Ben's... do you have any advice of what I should ask for at the vets.. any treatments I should skip/definitely try? x

Well everyones experiences are different, however I found that the baytril didnt touch it with Peanut Butter who also had a hock abcess in 2008, unfortunately it didnt go and after three operations we let him go in 2009.

I personally feel that he would have stood a better chance had he had septrin FIRST as opposed to baytril. However he had an abscess so obviously the infection was bigger - this may not be the case with yours so bear that in mind.

xx

Well everyones experiences are different, however I found that the baytril didnt touch it with Peanut Butter who also had a hock abcess in 2008, unfortunately it didnt go and after three operations we let him go in 2009.

I personally feel that he would have stood a better chance had he had septrin FIRST as opposed to baytril. However he had an abscess so obviously the infection was bigger - this may not be the case with yours so bear that in mind.

xx

Okay, thanks:D And really sorry about Peanut Butter:( I really hope you've caught Domino's very early and he'll make a full recovery:D xx

I caught Peanuts very early too,so I am concerned but he is a different bunny and I am sure he will make a full recovery. :) xx

Back