• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a Baby Female with a Neutered Male

Philcook

New Kit
Hello all!

I currently have a 1 year old neutered male rabbit.
I am looking into getting a baby female rabbit to keep him company!

I am wondering what the best way of introducing them are, and if there are any risks involved? I have heard from my local pet store that there is a possible risk of phantom pregnancy which could be dangerous if she smells him nearby.

I have read a few things on here saying that phantom pregnancies are normal but I just wanted to clear things up before doing so!

Thanks!

Phil

have you considered perhaps getting a girl bunny from a rescue?

they could bond them together for you.
she would already be spayed and vacc'd as well.

if you are set on wanting a baby, they do get baby bunnies in as well :)

Even if you get a baby girl, she'll still need to be spayed when she's old enough.
If not there's a high chance of cancer and when she reached sexual maturity there's a high chance of her becoming agressive and breaking their bond.

It can be done though. I bonded a baby to an adult with the intention of him staying with her while she was spayed. She sadly died young though (not because of the bond)

yeah I have every intention of getting her spayed as soon as shes old enough, it's just what the pet shop guy said to me made me worry a little regarding the risks of doing so beforehand.

I just finished working at a rescue and we had LOADS of babies, people seem to dump pregnant mothers on us. We do vaccinate and spay them. The other advantage of getting from a rescue is that they can tell you what the rabbit is like as they will have spent sooooo much more time with the bun then anyone in a pet shop ever will! So if you want a placid friendly bunny that has been handled loads then the rescue can help you find one :D

It will be fine to bond them, just make sure they are on very neutral territory where neither bun has been before, most rescues offer a bonding service for a small donation (we charged £10)

it can be done fine if shes young enough, though you do have to watch hormones my girl decided to go into massive hormone overdrive with my boy the day before she was due to be spayed, she was unstoppable lucky my male is very laid back, hormones do take a while to lessen too

she was 12 weeks when i got her spayed at 5 months, my boy was est to be a years old ( both were rescue buns )
my two are inseperable

rescue is better as they are more likely to know a character of a bun than a shop bought one,

personality does help, if you have the time to observe for at least 48 hrs and bond correctly then i dont see a prob,

Last edited:
Back