• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly got out of her run, please help

Alicia

Mama Doe
I went to feed the animals earlier and I left the rabbits run lid off whilst I fed the guinea-pigs which aren't far away from the rabbits. They've never jumped out of it before (and I've never left them unsupervised with the lid off of it) but when I turned round after feeding the guinea-pigs I saw Molly in the garden, I checked all round the run and there are no holes or anything so she must have jumped. It's 2ft high! I was trying to catch her, and then I saw my cat run across the garden and I tried to chase him away from her but he ran over to her and stopped right in front of her, and the cat fell over. Molly didn't make a sound or anything so I don't think he ran into her, but she just carried on hopping. I shut the cat inside and managed to catch Molly, but she did trip a bit whilst I was trying to catch her, and I'm so worried she may have hurt herself or be in shock or something. I'm such a bad rabbit owner, if I hadn't been so stupid and put the lid on the run everything would be fine.
I put her back in the run and she hopped round the run once and then ran up the ramp, so if she'd hurt her legs or something she wouldn't be able to run up the ramp? I then gave her food and she ate it, and I've left her now in her hutch with Archie, with hay food and water and I'm going to check on her again in a minute.
Does it sound like she could be hurt in any way? I know its hard to tell over the internet its just I know very little about rabbit health and I don't know if she could be hiding it or anything. I don't know what to do, she seems fine but what if she is hiding an illness and its gets worse and I don't notice it in time? I am going to check on her as often as possible, I'm so worried and scared, I haven't even had her a month :(

I sure she is probably fine! She probably thought the grass was greener on the outside of her run! My poppy can get over a 4 foot fence now, to get out of the "safe" area of garden, into "the widerness" which is my bottom garden ( all 100x30ft of it!)

What I tend to do in times like this is to give an extra pellet or treat to check what she is acting like. If she comes over for food and all appears normal then I would probably give an extra treat in about an hour and if all is normal then, then presume she is ok, unless something tells me otherwise in due course.

Also, just so you know, I have a dwarf lop who hopped over a 4ft barrier last week :)roll:) two foot is nothing.:lol:

Hey
Firstly try not to beat yourself up about it, we all make silly mistakes and learn from then.. Hopefully Molly will have just thought she's had an adventure but you're right to be cautious because they're good at not letting you know if they're hurt.
If she likes a fuss maybe have a cuddle in a bit when she's settled down and see if you can feel anything unusual.
She might just be a bit surprised by the whole experience and need time to chill.
Like you said its hard to tell over the internet but keep an eye and take her to the vets in the morning if you're worried at all. Better safe than sorry and all that..
Hope you and her are ok x

What I tend to do in times like this is to give an extra pellet or treat to check what she is acting like. If she comes over for food and all appears normal then I would probably give an extra treat in about an hour and if all is normal then, then presume she is ok, unless something tells me otherwise in due course.

Also, just so you know, I have a dwarf lop who hopped over a 4ft barrier last week :)roll:) two foot is nothing.:lol:

:shock: Wow. I thought 2ft was high :lol: I will go and give her a treat now, thank you :) I've decided they are definetly not free ranging again, I get too scared and I think it stresses the rabbits out when I have to try and get them back in.
Sorry for being all panicky, I've never had rabbits before, I worry about everything with them :lol:

This, I tend to follow the same procedure. She will likely be fine. Try not to blame yourself, it happens to us all. It's just something you learn from :)

Hugs to Molly.

:shock: Wow. I thought 2ft was high :lol: I will go and give her a treat now, thank you :) I've decided they are definetly not free ranging again, I get too scared and I think it stresses the rabbits out when I have to try and get them back in.
Sorry for being all panicky, I've never had rabbits before, I worry about everything with them :lol:

You're doing an awesome job, don't worry.

With the treats, make sure you know whatever amount you give won't upset her tummy :)

I just went and gave her a treat and she was sitting in the mesh part of the hutch eating hay and she came over to me for a treat so at least she's eating, do you think this means she's fine?
I was going to take her and Archie in for a health check soon anyway, just because I don't know much about rabbit health I thought it would be a good idea to get them checked over by a vet. I know they check them when they have their vaccinations but Archie and Molly don't need their vaccinations until July so I don't know if I want to wait until then :S I'll see how she is in the morning :) Thank you so much for all the help

Don't feel bad, I think we've all had lucky escapes with things like this, i;m the exact same in that i never wander off with the run lid up but my mum was staying the other week and what with nattering away and stuff i came indoors with it still up, i didn;t know until i went out an hour later - by which time it was dark - and Joejoe was sat outside the back door on the decking, i felt sick at the thought of what could have happened if i'd not gone back out when i did.

You're not a bad bunny mummy at all, you can tell that by how worried you are!

I know you care very much about your 2 bunnies. I am sure everything is fine. I was surprised when our new girl leapt 3 foot out of her hutch, not just out but over. Used to leave it open all the time. They are inside, but still a worry. Now shut it at night.

Back