• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Nala - possible bloat

Aimz1986

Young Bun
Im worried Nala may be starting with bloat. Usually she eats her food straight away but when I have gone to feed her this evening some (not all) of her food was left. I did see her eat a couple of pieces of hay though. I have fed her some greens and going to check if she has eaten them when I've posted this.

She is still active.

Going to be on the phone 1st thing to the vets

If it is bloat look for symptoms of her changing positions, pushing her stomach to the ground, generally looking in pain. She most probably won't be eating at all and would possibly look in panic/distress. If it does appear to be bloat it is an out of hours emergency as she could have a blockage and if it was tomorrow morning would be too late.

From what you've described re eating hay it probably isn't that serious but if you see what I've described about it has become urgent.

Good luck, I hope it turns out not to be serious.

Please don't leave it until the morning if you suspect it is bloat.

I didn't suspect there was anything wrong with my bun and by the morning he had gone. Every minute counts if it is.

She doesnt look at all distressed or in pain. Ive have just tried her with some carrot and she has eaten 4 small pieces of that. I have just changed her litter tray to make it easier for me to see what her poos are like.

Still going to ring the vets 2moz as it really isnt like her to not attack the food bowl when I put it in her hutch.

I don't wish to alarm you but Thomas was still eating leaves and a few pellets (not the usual amount however)
He displayed no outward sings of distress or pain, the only thing he did which was out of character was to hop away from me after a cuddle.

Just keep a close eye on her tonight. x

She seems a bit better. She has eaten some more carrot. Vet gave her a pain killer and gut stimulant. She has still left the pelets so im going to get a small bag of another food to see if that is the issue.

Thank you for asking

Bit of an update.

Nala is still not right. She is only eating carrot and hay. She is back at the vets tomorrow. Her poos are still very small, but at least she it passing something. I have bought some science selective pelets and am going to try her with a few of those (she is usually on excel and I want to rule out the excel causing her problems). Usually she will eat her pelets straight away but she has not touched them.

Back