• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I seriously want a rabbit

There are a few people preparing to get rabbits, can't remember their names though :oops:

Are you planning to get one then, or just here to talk about all things rabbity?

I know its hard when you want a pet and your parents say no but im sure your mum has reasons in her mind as to why she isnt allowing you to have one yet. I know its a pain but at least your mum is being responsible. Im not saying that you would at all (please dont think im being mean) but so many childhood bunnies get left behind as their owner grows up. Most are left at the bottom of the garden or in a shed to live out thier lives being very lonely and become a burden more than a much loved family pet. They are a big commitment, as much as a cat or dog so its important to think very carefully before you take one on x

Well, i have just showed how dedicated I am, so my mum said she would think c:

Ah fair enough :)

It's a good idea to collect lots of info first so you can tell exactly what's involved in looking after them. I thought I had researched well before I got my first one, but I was actually really underprepared because the books i had read weren't very good :(

I'm glad I ended up with rabbits anyway because they're so rewarding :love: but they are a lot of work.

Does your mum have any specific doubts/worries, that you could address by doing some research?

Well, when I got two guinea pigs, I didn't look after them properly in the end.
She knows I would care for them really well & give them the best life possible.

Do you still have the piggies? If you do then maybe you should focus on them instead. Bunnies are really hard work, maybe even harder than guineas. I can understand your mums concern. She's worried that she's going to be the one left to look after them if you loose interest, if its happened before with the piggies then its going to be harder to convince her to get you a pair of buns. Please remeber that a pet is for life. Im not sure how old you are but as you get older you start to go out more with friend and guys and your priorities change, bunnies live for 10years+ and might not always fit into your life. Please dont think im being harsh, im sure you will make a very lovin g new bunny mum, i just want to give you an idea of the work it involves :)

Rabbits are a LOT more work that guinea pigs, seriously, they are not easy pets. If you couldn't look after the guinea pigs, are you ready for a lot more work in rabbit care?

Ummm...I'm not sure those two statements go well together :lol:

Although obv I don't know all the details, maybe the guineas were a long time ago?

The main thing I forgot to consider with rabbits is that they can live for 12 years :shock: I got my first when I was around 21, so theoretically I could have still had her when I was 33. :shock: You can have a lot of life changes during that time and its not always easy to fit those around a bunny, so to speak.

I will have bunnies forever now, because every time one passes away, I get one to keep the survivor company - it's never ending (I like it that way - it's just a big commitment!)

Although having said that, you can't plan for every possible event - there has to be some balance.

I have no bunnies.:wave:
I had 2 bunnies who lived to age 10and a half yrs and age nearly 12yrs.:D

I won't be getting any more bunnies as my husband will be retiring soon and it would be too great an expense.

sue:wave:

i have both g-pigs and rabbits

Guineas are farrr more messy!!!

but rabbits are genuenly more hard work!!

I don't!

I'd love one but I'm still not convinced my current flat is big enough. :cry: Maybe when I earn enough to move to a bigger flat... I used to have some when I lived at home, who eventually became my Mum's substitute children...:D I was lucky though, my parents loved my buns as much as I did and were more than happy to keep them when I went to uni.

I just come on here a LOT to look at everyone elses!

I've had buns and a piggie, buns are a LOT more stressful and expensive to keep. Put it this way, my Mum doesn't work, has loads of time and space for a bun or two, but she decided after our Eddie died that she couldn't handle having another bun as it's far too stressful for her. She is considering getting a pair of piggies because they are a bit more chilled.

It's ok lovely, you've got plenty of time to get one. If I get one by the time I'm 35 I'll be happy!!!

:wave:

Sounds like you don't have the pigs anymore. I can understand if you haven't looked after them well in the past why your mum would be apprehensive getting you a bunny. Buns can live past 10 years, so it's good of your mum to be so caring.

I think though if you know in your heart you are going to do everything youc can to give the bunny a good life and do your research and are prepared to clean the hutch out daily- if you lino it first it will make cleaning easier.

It is best to have a minimum of a 6x2 hutch with a 6x4 run attached. It is also best to have two buns rather than one, unless you are going to be there all the time, buns get lonely and need company of there own kind.

Good luck in persuading your mum :) & hopefully you will get some good advice on the forum.

I would say also make sure they are both insured whether you get two or one. So many things can go wrong with buns. They also need six monthly vacs and annual ones for mixi and vhd which is £45 a year usually with vets per rabbit.

The hutch and run setup may cost you no less than £200.00 if you buy something of the right size. Round about £100 for the hutch and same for the run. Other people may be able to give better suggestions- i.e if your mum would let you have a playhouse and run etc.

Hope this helps x

Back