• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Domino has an abscess U/D post 54 - its still there

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
And its all my fault. I know its all my own fault and believe me I hate myself for it.
Domino is four now and given that Peanut only just lived to three, I had hoped he wouldnt get his problems. But a few days ago Domino had a sore hock, so i kept an eye on it and today its awful. He will see the vet tomorrow of course.

I am so upset, I love this boy SO much you cant even imagine. He is my world, and now I am so scared. With Peanut i think we werent aggressive enough in the beginning, so we are not going to tread carefully with this and try baytril first, i am not having it.

:(

Last edited:
(big hugs) i hope you dont mind me asking, but what happened to peanut that makes you worry now???

xx

i am so sorry to hear about Domino :(:( But i don't see how its your fault.

Hopefully the vet will be able to start aggressive treatment straight away and what you learnt from Peanut can help Domino:)

sending loads of vibes and hugs to you x

Jelly is fine, Domino is Peanuts son , which is where the problem im sure has come from.

All of the other babies from 2007 are fine, I have had the owners check their feet and they are all "Jellys" , they all LOOK as in their build - like Jelly. Domino is the only one who got the 50/50 deal. And he is fat, he refuses to run around much which adds to the problem.

I just feel so gutted. I love him so much.

I'm sorry honey :(

Do try to keep calm though and remember that a lot of rabbits have mild sore hocks for a long time and it doesn't become a life-threatening issue like it did with poor Peanut. I know there's an increased risk thogh with Domino being related.

hope he's ok, at least your experience with Peanut will enable you to find the best treatment for Domino. x

(big hugs) i hope you dont mind me asking, but what happened to peanut that makes you worry now???

xx

Of course not, new members wouldnt know the story. Basically Peanut Butter developed sore hocks which turned into an abscess and he had lots of treatment, three ops, but we couldnt save him.

Domino is his son, so my first thought is that its genetic. Might not be but, it is the opposite foot, but i dont know.

x

I found sudocrem the best thing in the world.
Charlie got sore hocks and they got fairly bad looking. I caught it early and used it twice a day. I wrapped him up in a really soft pet blanket while it soaked in. It worked really quickly.
Hope you caught it early enough to stop it in its tracks.

I often think of PB when I am creaming Alberts feet. Hopefully Domino will have enough of Jelly in him that it doesnt get serious

Of course not, new members wouldnt know the story. Basically Peanut Butter developed sore hocks which turned into an abscess and he had lots of treatment, three ops, but we couldnt save him.

Domino is his son, so my first thought is that its genetic. Might not be but, it is the opposite foot, but i dont know.

x

oh hun, i know its easier said than done but keep as calm as you can (im such a hypocrit as im freaking out about bella :oops:) i know genetics could play a big part but you know what you're looking for now and both you and the vet can learn from what happened with peanut and choose the best course of action.

i will have my fingers crossed for your little guy xx

I think it could have abcessed already thats the problem. Jelly has sore hocks sometimes, its not that I think its bad because he has sore hocks too they are very bad in my opinion.

The hock itself to me looks like it has an infection. And as you go UP his foot its all red there and at the top theres a big bump and its all hot and squishy, - like that has an infection too.

Managed to get a photo prior to sudocreaming them.

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

can you see what I mean about the bottom?

:(

:( that does look very sore and painful, i see what you mean about the bottom bit. can you not get him looked at today??
would that make any difference than if you went to the vets tommorrow??

xx

:( that does look very sore and painful, i see what you mean about the bottom bit. can you not get him looked at today??
would that make any difference than if you went to the vets tommorrow??

xx

Not massively, he needs to see someone who saw Peanut to know what were dealing with here. He is hopping around and doesnt seem too bothered, scoffing his face as usual.

xx

oh Sj I'm so sorry. Really hoping the vet feels the same as you and goes in all guns blazing to treat it and not a drop of baytril in sight. You must be so worried. Fingers crossed for you at the vets x

I'm currently treating a rabbit for multiple abscesses and seem to be fighting a losing battle. She is currently on Baytril - Should I be pushing for something stronger?

I hope your rabbit Domino gets better x x

I'm currently treating a rabbit for multiple abscesses and seem to be fighting a losing battle. She is currently on Baytril - Should I be pushing for something stronger?

I hope your rabbit Domino gets better x x

In my opinion yes, but thats just from my experience and i expect where the abscess is plays a part in that. in our experience baytril was not strong enough against the infection, he also had marbocyl I think but that also did nothing. the only thing that got it was septrin, however by the time we used it he had wasted so much time it wasnt enough.

I have a theory that if we used it earlier he would have got better

xx

i did post a thread about this before, about my vet is just saying pts pts all the time. I've got Baytril but it was almost like he gave me medication just to keep me quiet and basically holds no hope at all. I'm gonna ask for something stronger.
After all she's my pet, my responsibilty and I'm bloody paying! Plus obviously I love her :love:

Back