• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would Bonded males smelling female cause fighting between them?

MichelleGsPets

Alpha Buck
Just wondering if you have two bonded neutered males, and you bring a female into the same room, different pens and that but into the same room would that cause the males to ever fight over the smell of the female?

Because I have one pair of boys, one single boy and getting a rabbit later and it will more than likely be a female as for an easier bond with Cooper but just wondering.

bringing any other rabbit, male or female, into the sight-line and scent-line of a pair can cause referred aggression - they will smell the other rabbit and start fighting amongst themselves.

When I had two separate pairs living close by this caused referred regression. To stop it I put a big wooden board between the two boards so they couldn't see each other :wave:

Any rabbit can cause referred aggression.

I would be more inclined to say keep it somewhere else.

do you have to have her and cooper in the same room as the other two?? have you tried bonding cooper with your other 2 boys??

Yes due to my cats and dogs they have to be in the same room. Yes I bonded all my boys together two weeks ago and had to seperated Cooper from them a few days ago as he was getting very depressed and the others must of picked up on it as he ended up with a couple of cuts and a lot of tuffs of hair gone. :(
I supose I just got to risk it?

Yes due to my cats and dogs they have to be in the same room. Yes I bonded all my boys together two weeks ago and had to seperated Cooper from them a few days ago as he was getting very depressed and the others must of picked up on it as he ended up with a couple of cuts and a lot of tuffs of hair gone. :(

its a pretty big risk if im honest, what if cooper doesnt get along with this new bun.... then what??? what if the bonded pair you have start to fight and you end up with all seperate buns, can you house all of them??

its a pretty big risk if im honest, what if cooper doesnt get along with this new bun.... then what??? what if the bonded pair you have start to fight and you end up with all seperate buns, can you house all of them??

:thumb:

Is the bunny you're getting going to be spayed? Also, has Cooper recovered from his issues? Will you be bonding them straight away?

That would be a really bad idea.

If there is no way that the new Rabbit can be kept in a separate room (which is really essential for quarantine purposes) then personally I would not be getting another Rabbit.

That would be a really bad idea.

If there is no way that the new Rabbit can be kept in a separate room (which is really essential for quarantine purposes) then personally I would not be getting another Rabbit.

:thumb:

Oh no, the new rabbit will be kept in another room temporarily for the quarrintine process, about 2ish weeks. But Im saying that I can't keep her and Cooper in a different room full time. :)
The new rabbit is young so she will be speyed when she is old enough, 6months right? Then after recovered she will be bonded with Cooper hopefully.

Coopers doing fine after being depressed, hes getting very spoilt and living it up on my couch with me now, lying down with one of my cats :p Hes spoilt and hes happier in himself and his cuts are still there but they are healing and they look fine. It wil be months untill him and this girl will meet :)

Oh no, the new rabbit will be kept in another room temporarily for the quarrintine process, about 2ish weeks. But Im saying that I can't keep her and Cooper in a different room full time. :)
The new rabbit is young so she will be speyed when she is old enough, 6months right? Then after recovered she will be bonded with Cooper hopefully.

Coopers doing fine after being depressed, hes getting very spoilt and living it up on my couch with me now, lying down with one of my cats :p Hes spoilt and hes happier in himself and his cuts are still there but they are healing and they look fine. It wil be months untill him and this girl will meet :)

but what if they dont bond??? have you a plan for then??? what if the boys fight and you have to seperate them???? have you a plan for then???

i know this is you dream bun and everything but do you think this is a good idea if it all goes pear shaped because you 'risked it'?? :?

but what if they dont bond??? have you a plan for then??? what if the boys fight and you have to seperate them???? have you a plan for then???

i know this is you dream bun and everything but do you think this is a good idea if it all goes pear shaped because you 'risked it'?? :?

Ya I have enough room in my animal room to house all four rabbits comfy. This flemish will be around the house for most of the day when I'm here but then wil have part of the toom at night and when someones out.

Ya I have enough room in my animal room to house all four rabbits comfy. This flemish will be around the house for most of the day when I'm here but then wil have part of the toom at night and when someones out.

ok the only reason i asked is this.....

i had a large bun, a papillon called daisy. i also rehomed my sisters bun, a blue lop boy called willow. all hell broke loose. none of my buns got along, they all had seperate housing and i had to get them out one at a time. the boys could smell the girls and each other and they ended up going crazy at the bars to get out :(

are you ready for that, if it was to happen?? it would be one bun out one bun in and would that be fair on them????

i had to rehome daisy and willow and it killed me that i had been that selfish because i had wanted that 'DREAM' bun.....

please please please think about this with your head and not your heart

I understand this is your dream bunny; I'd lvoe my own giant bunny too. However, I think you need to look at what is in the best interests of your bunnies, as opposed to focusing on fulfilling your dream, right now. Sorry if that sounds harsh, or anything.

It not only 'my dream' I'm thinking about, honestly. I have thought this through throughly and if I can house all rabbits, have money , have time, etc.

Cooper, Marley and Dexter were all single rabbits untill two weeks ago and I managed fine and all got time outside there pens for excercise.
I will be able to manage four rabbits, I really did think this through to th ebet I could and I do believe that I can care for all four rabbits fine.

It not only 'my dream' I'm thinking about, honestly. I have thought this through throughly and if I can house all rabbits, have money , have time, etc.

Cooper, Marley and Dexter were all single rabbits untill two weeks ago and I managed fine and all got time outside there pens for excercise.
I will be able to manage four rabbits, I really did think this through to th ebet I could and I do believe that I can care for all four rabbits fine.

and you want to risk such a new bond??? two weeks is not that long to be pushing the boundaries :?

i know im being negative but sometimes you dont realise things untill its too late

I don't think anyone is calling into question your ability to care for four rabbits, its very clear you love your bunnies very much :)

The perspective that I was going from was maximum happiness and also being aware of just hw bloody minded rabbits can be when you're desperate for something to work.

I would suggest an already spayed girlie for Cooper, so that he can choose his own friend to minimise the risk of it going wrong, and maximise the risk of him having a friend. That was my mentality, at any rate.

Back