• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone else have a saggy, leaky aviary roof? U/D Pics added

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
It was only put up in November I think and it's now started to sag and leak :(

Not happy.

Last edited:
I'd get in touch with the company who did it.

Have you got pics? Maybe someone could suggest some ways to fix it up :)

I'd get in touch with the company who did it.

Have you got pics? Maybe someone could suggest some ways to fix it up :)

We put it up ourselves which is why it's probably leaking :lol:

I'll try and get some pictures and see what can be done

I might just get the silicone sealant gun out and get sealing :lol:

How big is the roof? Is it one sheet of plastic of multiples?
It's possible it just needs a few supports underneath which shouldn't be too difficult.

How big is the roof? Is it one sheet of plastic of multiples?
It's possible it just needs a few supports underneath which shouldn't be too difficult.

This is the only pic i've got on my computer atm, I'll need to get some more tonight. I think there's about 7 panels and they're joined and attached to the roof on the wooden beams that run front to back

cc9e3f9f.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what you mean either :wave:

I do get a bit of leakage in my aviary roof, but not enough to be a problem.

If the water is pooling, you might need to slope it more?

How have you fitted the corrugated sheets to the wooden batons? If you've screwed/nailed through the lowest point of the channel, you'll get more leakage than if you go through the highest part...if that makes sense?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean either :wave:

I do get a bit of leakage in my aviary roof, but not enough to be a problem.

If the water is pooling, you might need to slope it more?

How have you fitted the corrugated sheets to the wooden batons? If you've screwed/nailed through the lowest point of the channel, you'll get more leakage than if you go through the highest part...if that makes sense?

Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining things :lol:

It's pooling on the individual panels - between the beams is sagging so it's kinda like:

sagging 'U' shape - then a beam - saggin 'U' shape - beam

If that makes sense?

I keep having to push up from underneath to drain the water off the back

We pulled the panels as taught as we could but they still seem to floppy :?

I think we fixed them on the "down" part of the plastic panels too - the OH said that that was the only way he could do it :roll:

Try to get some pics of where it's sagging and where it's leaking. Looks like you did a pretty good job of supporting it so perhaps being at more of an angle would help the water to run off.

With the correct fixings you fix the plastic at the highest point and there's a cap on top that keeps it waterproof - I wouldn't have thought that would cause the sagging you're getting though, although it could contribute.

Another thing you could do is cut baton to fit between the supports you have and attach it where the sagging is.
The best thing for that would probably be those bits of metal with a hole in each end for a screw. Screw one end in to the supports you have in place and the other end in to the new supports.

Any of that make sense?:lol:

Try to get some pics of where it's sagging and where it's leaking. Looks like you did a pretty good job of supporting it so perhaps being at more of an angle would help the water to run off.

With the correct fixings you fix the plastic at the highest point and there's a cap on top that keeps it waterproof - I wouldn't have thought that would cause the sagging you're getting though, although it could contribute.

Another thing you could do is cut baton to fit between the supports you have and attach it where the sagging is.
The best thing for that would probably be those bits of metal with a hole in each end for a screw. Screw one end in to the supports you have in place and the other end in to the new supports.

Any of that make sense?:lol:

It made sense up until the bold bit :lol:

It made sense up until the bold bit :lol:

like these?
These are more heavy duty

You could just use a piece of wood but I these will hardly be noticeable.:)

So the fixings (linked above) would hold the new supports to the existing ones and you'd end up with something like a grid, hopefully preventing it from sagging in the middle.

Last edited:
This is an aerial view so you can see the panels and joins (excuse the state of the garden, we're in the middle of trying to sort it out)

IMAG0141.jpg

This one shows how much it slopes:

IMAG0145.jpg

And this one shows the water pooling on the top (this was after a light shower so there isnt much water there)

IMAG0143.jpg

Ah yes, that's a bit of a problem. Really you want the support timbers running in the other direction, but your run is too huge, you can't easily get 12ft timbers!

It's not a quick fix, but I would consider turning the sheets on each half of the run 90degrees so that they peak in the middle of the run and drain off to the sides. Then can have the supports running in the same direction they are now and the sheets won't sag. You would need to adjust the supports using a few different sizes of timber so that it still slops. Something thick like a fence post in the center and then maybe 45mm thick wood, then 25mm and then at the edges just fix it to the run itself.

Ah yes, that's a bit of a problem. Really you want the support timbers running in the other direction, but your run is too huge, you can't easily get 12ft timbers!

You could cut timber to fit in between the existing supports and attach it to those though. You'd end up with level support grid.
That's what I was trying to say in my other posts but I'm not sure how well I explained :oops:

You can easily put in cross supports by cutting pieces to fit between the long lengths and screw them in from the outside of each long length.

Did you overlsap the sheets by approx 3 or 4 "U" shapes? If you've done less they are more likely to leak.

Back