• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on housing..

Ssteph_123

Young Bun
:wave:I have a female 15 week old mini lop, she is currently a house bun because when we got her it was still very cold outside and she was tiny..
Now thinking about moving her outside and getting her a friend..
What I want to know is how big should hutch/run be for 2 buns..(or even just the 1)
Going to try and get a rescue bun already neautered so is there a rush to get her spayed as she is still a bit young?
Will she be ok with an older bun or bigger breed bun?
Any advice much appreciated :)

The recommended hutch size for 2 rabbits is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft and a run is 6ft x 4ft x 2ft
I don't know much about spaying rabbits because mine were already neutered/spayed when I got them, so I'm sorry I can't really help with that :)

I'd suggest only bonding when she is spayed and recovered because it gives the bonding the highest chance of long term success- if you do it before she is spayed, then they are likely to fight when she does develop hormones.

I'd suggest contacting any rescues you potentially are interested in adopting from and asking them what their adoption criteria is for housing and then work with that. That will give you the best chance of adopting :) Bear in mind that each rescue has its own requirements for rehoming, so there may be some variation between any you contact.

I'd suggest only bonding when she is spayed and recovered because it gives the bonding the highest chance of long term success- if you do it before she is spayed, then they are likely to fight when she does develop hormones.

I'd suggest contacting any rescues you potentially are interested in adopting from and asking them what their adoption criteria is for housing and then work with that. That will give you the best chance of adopting :) Bear in mind that each rescue has its own requirements for rehoming, so there may be some variation between any you contact.

Thanks thats great help, what is the youngest she can be spayed or does that depend on the vet?

Thanks thats great help, what is the youngest she can be spayed or does that depend on the vet?

6 Months for a female and 4 months for a male [or as soon as their things drop]

I think you should get her spayed and let her recover first before finding a male rescue bun, as you wont have to keep two single rabbits and it'd be easier for you.
When she's spayed and recovered, you should get a rescue to find a suitable male partner for your girl. The rescue would bond them for you and you could take them home together.
:wave:

6 Months for a female and 4 months for a male [or as soon as their things drop]

I think you should get her spayed and let her recover first before finding a male rescue bun, as you wont have to keep two single rabbits and it'd be easier for you.
When she's spayed and recovered, you should get a rescue to find a suitable male partner for your girl. The rescue would bond them for you and you could take them home together.
:wave:

Thanks for that.. :)

Does anybody know of any rescues local to colchester ?

Some vets spay does from 4 months if they are mature enough, but mostly its 6 months.

Its worth looking on the rabbits rescue site before you click onto the forum at the list of rescues near you or google perhaps :wave:

edit: whitehood is a step ahead! :D

oooh us!

I'm heavily involved in all things 'rabbit' at RSPCA Ipswich.

I'd happily help with whatever you needed :)

We also have some beautiful single males available.

oooh us!

I'm heavily involved in all things 'rabbit' at RSPCA Ipswich.

I'd happily help with whatever you needed :)

We also have some beautiful single males available.

:) Ok so what is your adoption criteria..? I can see you have some beautiful males.. Problem being that I dont travel very well .. :( So colchester rescues really are my only option.

:) Ok so what is your adoption criteria..? I can see you have some beautiful males.. Problem being that I dont travel very well .. :( So colchester rescues really are my only option.

If you look at any of the rabbits we have available, there is a bit underneath that talks about the rehoming criteria, and there is a more detailed bit on my website (link in my sig) under 'volunteering'.

I don't think there are any specifically in Colchester to be honest. The only one I can see is RSCPA Essex North East Branch. I've not heard great things about them, but equally, things may be different now because that was a while ago. Everything else is out of Colchester and I would imagine Ipswich is the closest of them. We also have Thumper's Rabbit Rescue in Ipswich, but I don't know their contact details anymore because the lady, and therefore rescue, moved.

If you look at any of the rabbits we have available, there is a bit underneath that talks about the rehoming criteria, and there is a more detailed bit on my website (link in my sig) under 'volunteering'.

I don't think there are any specifically in Colchester to be honest. The only one I can see is RSCPA Essex North East Branch. I've not heard great things about them, but equally, things may be different now because that was a while ago. Everything else is out of Colchester and I would imagine Ipswich is the closest of them. We also have Thumper's Rabbit Rescue in Ipswich, but I don't know their contact details anymore because the lady, and therefore rescue, moved.
:D

Back