• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clicker Training

Alicia

Mama Doe
Is it possible to clicker train a rabbit? I think a few people on here do clicker train their rabbits, but I've forgotten who. I got a clicker this morning but if I can clicker train them I don't really know where to start. What can I teach them to do?

I did this wee report on another forum so have copied it to here for you.

I read an article about training rabbits using a clicker and decided to give it a go. I thought it would be another way to stimulate my rabbits, Floppy and Millie, and use it to interact with them more. It has been a fascinating experience and I get the feeling we are only beginning to discover the fun which both myself and my children can have with the rabbits. Today, for the first time ever, I was able to get them into their hutch when it was time for bed without the usual chasing round the garden. They came immediately when they saw the target and followed it straight into the hutch with no fuss at all.

I started using their pellets or some very small pieces of carrot. As they were eating them out of my hand I would click. To make the clicking sound I used a dog clicker from the pet shop. I then put my hand behind my back. When I put it out again and they came to eat from my hand again they got a click. I did this about ten times a few times a day. Long enough for them to get the idea without them getting bored.

I then introduced them to a target - a small kong stuck on the end of a willow stick. (doesn't need to be anything special!). Being inquisitive they came to investigate it and when they touched it with their nose they immediately got a click then a treat. The idea is that you can click at the exact moment you see the behaviour you want and they know they've done the right thing and their reward is coming.

I was utterly amazed at how quickly they came to associate the target and treat. Once they came to it in one place I started moving it around and they would follow me. We've also been teaching them to stand on their hind legs which came in useful for checking my girl's scar after her op without having to lift her.

Today was the first time I tried it outside and I was amazed that they still came. I did use banana to give some extra encouragement. Hopefully, if it works the way the book says, I'll be able to use it to make trimming their nails less stressful but we are a long way away from it at the moment!

Thank you :) Can they learn their names with it? I was going to just call their name and show them the treat and when they come to get the treat I could use the clicker? I tried it with them earlier, Molly seems to enjoy it, but Archie doesn't understand why every time he goes to get a treat something clicks :lol:

I think so but I have read to work on individual command to use a different clicker for each bun. That way they know who it is who has given the correct behaviour.:wave:

It is lots of fun!

I'm currently training my Ben to a clicker for rewarding good behaviour. Didn't know too much about the target use, so thanks for that info!

In the past I've had rabbits that were trained to respond to voice commands. I just used the same wording everytime I wanted something done, and when they did it, they got a treat. Worked to hold out a treat and call the bunny's name. Then give them the treat and a pat when they came over.

Rabbits are much smarter than people think, so enjoy training your's!

My bunnys know their names seperatly and know that I'm calling them both when I shout "bunnies". Charlie knows that when I say bed, he has to go in his pen. Milly is learning it!

I haven't clicker trained but I imagine you could get them to do basic commands with it, they're clever animals. Just expected to be ignored at times :lol:

My bunnys know their names seperatly and know that I'm calling them both when I shout "bunnies". Charlie knows that when I say bed, he has to go in his pen. Milly is learning it!

I haven't clicker trained but I imagine you could get them to do basic commands with it, they're clever animals. Just expected to be ignored at times :lol:

For animals that rely onthier hearing rabbits can sure chose to be deaf at odd moments! Ben knows what "bed" or "kitchen" means, as in time to go to his hutch or back in the kitchen, but seems to forget randomly, especially if the cat's about! Loves following her around.
Kinda let Ben choose his own bed time now. When he wanders back into the kitchen any time after 9pm, I close the gate behind him, after following him in so I can take off his collar.
Would be easier if he was better trained! Miss Rag and Smudge dearly... sure they'd have taught Ben how things worked. Smudge learnt first and Rag copied...

Just remember to give lots of love all the time however you chose to train your bun.

bunlover has trained her bunnies to come in for bed by clicking her fingers. This means her husband can use the same method-(unlike voices which differ in pitch and tone).Also when I mind her bunnies I have no problem getting them in either.:)

I don't know how she did it though? maybe pm her?
sue:wave:
(bunlover's mum)

Back