• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Transportation and exploration

emjrabbitwolf

Warren Scout
Greetings to everyone again

I'm fairly sure that everyone who's ever had a rabbit at one time or another has taken them to the vets, moved house, attended a show etc. As a result everyone will probably have a fairly normal plastic and metal based pet carrier. Some have wheels for the really large sizes, and nearly all have a standard handle on the top.

I suffer from Fibro, and walk with a stick, I have one arm that I can't use too much as the shoulder causes me incredible pain when used. As a result carrying Ben around in a normal pet carrier is a bit or an issue. I need to get help, which I hate.
I'd also like to be able to take Ben to places that I know are safe from predators and other hazzards, and let him explore on his lead and harness. Once again taking him anywhere can be an issue.
Now I've seen pet prams/strollers. I've been laughed at by my other half and his family as insane and threatened with sleeping in the shed if I got one! But I really like the idea; I can use it to help me walk, carry things on it (such as water and treats), and take Ben placed that he'd enjoy, or not such as visiting the vets.
There's an alternative... the pet bags. The slings, backpacks, holdall carrier etc that some people use for small dogs or cats. There's someone who's dwarf rabbit goes everywhere with her in a back pack, looking out at the world, but I'm nervous about having Ben on my back where I can't see him.

I know rabbits need stimulation, you shoud see the amount of toys Ben has to choose from (yet still loves cardboard tubes best), he's fully vaccinated and is let out to wander the garden on his lead on a regular basis, especially now the weather has improved, though would like to be able to take him out when the weather isn't completely perfect. Get proper fresh air in his lungs, as feel the house air can be kinda stale, even with open windows and opening the doors often.
Once read about people taking rabbits and guinea pigs to the park and letting them explore, but get picked up when a dog came near. No idea if anyone else does this at all, or what people think about the idea.
(I've been considered to have odd ideas about rabbits since a child! command training, harnesses, living in the house... but all done now! just not in the 80s & early 90s!)

What I'm wondering is does anyone else take their rabbits out for a walk/change of scenery? If so what method of transportation do you use?

pleas note that Ben is trained to wear a collar (fully elasticated, quick release cat collar) around the house, and a harness with lead whenever we go out. He does however not like being confined too much or for too long, unless he can see out, which both a stroller or bag would allow.

*throws floor open to debate*

I can tell from you post that you really love your rabbit but it is so much more safer just to have him in your own back garden that is bunny proof.

Taking rabbits out to parks and other such unfamiliar areas is very risky, you dont know what the grass has been treated with or if a dog has done its business on it, if a dog was to run up to your rabbit and you didnt have enough time to pick him up, if theres been any poison laid down on the grass, if theres been any myxi rabbits on the grass, although he may be vaccinated it doesnt mean he cant catch it, the list goes on really.

Also carrier wise, I think the strollers are a great idea but again I would only ever use it for vets visits rather than taking the rabbit out for a walk, none of mine would be happy if I took them out for a stroll in the park:p

I only take my buns for trips to the vet and use a mesh type carrier which you can attach a shoulder strap to

Last edited:
I understand about the dangers of taking my bun somewhere other than the garden, but well I've had rabbits before, and they enjoyed going for walks beyond the garden, either on a lead and harness or being carried along, or occassionally in a child's toy pram (I was 11!). They looked around them and never seemed that scared or fretting.
I'd like to have the chance to be able to take Ben places comfortably and safely for both of us. Several friends have actually asked me to take him to visit! (Looking into a cloth/pop up run as well for that reason.) He's very curious and keeps wandering down the garden path when we're outside.
The garden isn't secure or bunnyproof in anyway shape or fashion. Part of it has fallen down and not been repaired in 3 years (Long story why things not done), Hope to fix it this summer, but till then I want to be able to take Ben to the vet's safely for us both at the very least, even if we dont go for walks along the river.

I'd advise very strongly against talking a bun out in public on a lead. the trouble is that whilst you can control what you and your rabbit do, you can't control what everyone else does. It might be fine more of the time, but how many times have people had an off the lead dog run up to them, or walked past a cat etc. Dogs get attacked out walking, a rabbit in the same circumstance stands no chance. It's not the every day predicable things that are the issues it's the odd now and then things that are the problem.

For the the vets, I prefer solid carriers as they offer more protection and are also chew proof! Some brands of carrier have fixings for wheels which you can buy separately, or you can probably buy wheels at a DIY store and bolt them on. The attaching an extension to the handle so you don't have to lean down would hopefully make it easier. You can buy carriers like that, but most of the ones I've seen are aimed at dogs and a bit large so DIYing one might be better.

This is similar to what I use

http://www.valupets.com/pets/wire-carrier/shaws-cat-carrier-large-mesh-(top-opening)/20171.html

I line it with cardboard around the sides putting little holes in and cover the top with a fleece, I clip a shoulder strap to this (borrowed from a lap top bag), I am then hands free

Would you be able to try and make your garden bunny safe and provide a natural stimulating environment there for him and then your friends can visit the bunny in his home where he is safe

Last edited:
Would you be able to try and make your garden bunny safe and provide a natural stimulating environment there for him and then your friends can visit the bunny in his home where he is safe

It will cost about £200-500 to get the garden bunnyproof. The fence has fallen down in many places, and what remains is rotted through and of post and rail type, with wigglable-throigh gaps between each post.
There's also a shared hedge which would need proofing some how, as unlike my previous rabbits I don't trust Ben to ignore it.

A permanant run isn't much of an option either. The shed isn't secure enough (or have space) to store on inside it. Ben is quite a strong bunny for his size, so one of the lighter folding wire constructed runs would likely just be lifted up so he could wiggle under it. A solid built wooden one would be stolen in less than a week, even with chains! Part of the reason Ben is a permanant house bunny is that it's not a secure area.

We live in the corner house, on an ok council estate which is fine most of the time, but during the school holidays it can become problematic. The house windows have been attacked or smashed multiple times, the car's been attacked... Being where we are in the UK not a lot we can do to protcect ourselves either (no cameras allowed, no barred fences etc). Plan this summer is to fix the fence, though not sure what sort of fencing it'll be, then that has to be bunnyproofed on top of the building costs...

Why I want to be able to take Ben outside on his harness/in a carrier to get mental stimulation, actual grass in his stomach, sunshine on his coat etc...

I understand you want Ben to have stimulation, sunshine and grass but I would not like anything to happen to him whilst he was out walking, I have dogs and it is hard enough to protect them from harm, a rabbit is more sensitive and fragile I think, what would you do if a dog came running towards you or a cat or even a boisterous child?

Ben is quite a strong bunny for his size, so one of the lighter folding wire constructed runs would likely just be lifted up so he could wiggle under it.

You have grass? You can use hook style tent pegs with these to stop them being lifted.

I understand you want Ben to have stimulation, sunshine and grass but I would not like anything to happen to him whilst he was out walking, I have dogs and it is hard enough to protect them from harm, a rabbit is more sensitive and fragile I think, what would you do if a dog came running towards you or a cat or even a boisterous child?

In answer to this, which might sound kinda crazy is well Ben's been chased by a hyperactive staffie before (my brother's dog opened ben's hutch when he was staying at my mam's awaiting my arrival...) He calmed down as soon as picked up! He gets chased by a cat on a daily basis and bops her back, as for boistrous children, you've not seen me on a sugar high!

But I do get your point very seriously. I plan to walk him round the garden mainly. We have a dog-free (and relatively childfree) zone in the area in the form of my old university's campus. Only thing is it has quite a lot of wild bunnies, so is kinda a no-go even with Ben being up to date with jabs.

Know in some other places there are areas people can take bunnies for Jumping practise and such, just so wish there were somewhere I could do the same with Ben... Will be months before the garden is secure.

You have grass? You can use hook style tent pegs with these to stop them being lifted.

I could try that, and as long as light enough for me to move alone shouldn't be too much of a problem. My only worry is Ben likes to dig (currently the sofa, carpet and wallpaper!), but if outside that could well become the grass. If my back is turned for a moment or I'm sat down, I wouldn't reach him in time to stop him. My health problems mean I can't react or move very fast, and Ben is swift and stealthy. Keeps escaping from the kitchen when people go in, but apparently he wasn't near the gate at the time! And getting him back in there at end of the night when he's been out in the lounge is a military operation or sneak attack... Know not the best but he runs behind the couch when hears the words bed or sees people moving as knows his play time is about to end! Cheeky, grumbly but wonderful...

You could peg a bit of mesh permanently to the floor.. the grass would grow through so no one could see it and then put the run out over that area.

Have you thought about making some new toys inside? My bun loves a good obstical course or a network of cardboard boxes etc.

The layout of the living room changes on a daily basis due to various things in life going on. He loves to explore it, but spends half of his time lurking behind or beside the sofa grooming himself, watching the tv or eating the wallpaper! He has daft points where he runs out and jumps everywhere, though not as much as before. He'll come out for treats, to play wih evie (the cat), to use Evie's litter tray or water bowl (he had his own but prefers her's!) and sometimes he comes up to actually be petted and hugged. He's now a year old so calming down a bit.
The kitchen has an assortment of toys in that he plays with, with news ones added often.
During the day and first thing on a morning I or other family members spend time in the kitchen with him playing with his toys, talking to him and stroking him, but once in the front room he acts a bit differently. He almost thinks any contact from me in there means he gets put back in the kitchen... Which is only partly true.
The lounge has toys in it too... he liked Evie's feathered ball on a stick and fish on a stick toys, so he got one for him! wave it and he'll follow it half way around the room! Though he's smarter than Evie and pulls Sharply to yank the stick out of hands! He can run halfway up and down the stairs, attack papers on the floor, jump on the furniture, attack the scratch post, gets spoilt with treats (weirdest rabbit ever... he loves the crushed maize and peas thats in standard musli mix which I changed him off for being a selective feeder. But they are used as bribery now. Loves them over actual rabbit treats, even going to bed for them!)
Just feel being indoors isn't the ideal...
argh! want my own home where I can build a huge solid, grass covered, concrete based run onto the back door and install a dog flap so bunny could chose himself.

argh! want my own home where I can build a huge solid, grass covered, concrete based run onto the back door and install a dog flap so bunny could chose himself.

I know what you mean :) I have a bouncy little chewer too... who also likes to escape the kitchen. I darent take him outside for fear he'd be off! He has some pop up tunnels which are good as I can put them out and then fold them up out of the way.

Another member posted some tunnels she had bought from Argos: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3674488/c_1/1|category_root|Toys+and+games|14417629/c_2/2|14417629|Playhouses+and+activity+centres|14417889.htm

I have bought two for my indoor buns for £15. I also thought that this looked like a lot of fun: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...|Playhouses+and+activity+centres|14417889.htm I think that making a stimulating indoor environment is a much safer idea! Taking him out in public is a non-starter. If a dog off the lead ran up to you you wouldn;t be able to scoop him up and carry him and he might die of shock even if he was untouched.

Ben hates the rustling plastic type toys. He's got a "santa's trousers" one, but grabs it, throws it around, claws and tramples it, then jumps over the flattened form so it wont make any noise.
Got cardboard ones but he's wary of them rolling around...
On US websites I've seen lovely cardboard houses/mazes/tunnels, but cant find a UK supplier, or international one who wont charge £30 for posting a flat cardboard box!

Back