• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

breeders/pet shops/rescue rabbit?

jacengland

New Kit
Just read a new thread asking if we should buy from breeders/pet shops or go for a rescue rabbit. In an ideal world there would be no need for rehoming rabbits. Unfortuneately there will always be a need because not only is there cruelty, neglect, unresponsible owners, but people that genuinely become unable to provide care for thier animals through no fault of their own.
It is about time all pet retailers took a more active role in animal warefare. Stressing the needs of the rabbit. Like good animal husbandry, companionship, spaying and neutering, vaccination, de-worming and parasite control. Possibly working with rehoming centres to give every rabbit the chance of having a caring, loving home.

I have got four rabbits. One from a breeder and the other three from a rescue centre. They are all brilliant rabbits!

This topic has been done to death recently... it's really rocky terrain you're entering with this thread.

Last edited:
The topic has been covered a lot but I don't see why the opening post would cause an argument - if you read it, they're actually promoting rescues (not saying they want to buy from a pet shop) and so surely we should all be agreeing, not arguing. :?

jacengland, I think you've made some valid points and have answered your own question really. ;) There shouldn't be a need for rescues, but there is. If possible, I would always rescue and it has many advantages. The bunny is likely to be vaccinated/neutered and you will know it's temperament. Rescues will also usually help with bonding to your existing rabbits.

The topic has been covered a lot but I don't see why the opening post would cause an argument - if you read it, they're actually promoting rescues (not saying they want to buy from a pet shop) and so surely we should all be agreeing, not arguing. :?

jacengland, I think you've made some valid points and have answered your own question really. ;) There shouldn't be a need for rescues, but there is. If possible, I would always rescue and it has many advantages. The bunny is likely to be vaccinated/neutered and you will know it's temperament. Rescues will also usually help with bonding to your existing rabbits.

:thumb:

Just to add with new members joining all the time there is going to be topics that have been covered lots of times. Don't think the OP is asking for trouble I think that is a bit unfair:? just because people may feel strongly or disagree one way or another everyone is entitled to express their views:wave:

Just read a new thread asking if we should buy from breeders/pet shops or go for a rescue rabbit. In an ideal world there would be no need for rehoming rabbits. Unfortuneately there will always be a need because not only is there cruelty, neglect, unresponsible owners, but people that genuinely become unable to provide care for thier animals through no fault of their own.
It is about time all pet retailers took a more active role in animal warefare. Stressing the needs of the rabbit. Like good animal husbandry, companionship, spaying and neutering, vaccination, de-worming and parasite control. Possibly working with rehoming centres to give every rabbit the chance of having a caring, loving home.

I have got four rabbits. One from a breeder and the other three from a rescue centre. They are all brilliant rabbits!

I agree. It does make me feel like banging my head againts a brick wall sometimes.

Back