• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jasmine is being neutered ....

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
She in for her op on Tuesday. I have thought about this long and hard as I know its a big op. I spoke to the vet last week and he said its a good idea and that there is so much that you can do for rabbits now days.
Anyway I am worried. I want to do the best for her but am scared that something will happen to her and that I made the wrong decision. I know that there is a high risk of uterine cancer but I just hope she will be alright in the op. Please reassure me that I am doing the right thing?
Also is there any thing I should know for when she comes home from the op? Should I keep her in? Jake is going in with her though he wasnt too happy when they went in for their jabs!! Will she eat straight away? Will she need pain relief and if so how long for? How long does it normally take for females to recover from this op?

She will be absolutely fine.:D
I was just the same when i had a stray bunny spayed that was handed to me.

If it is chilly outdoors she will need to be kept indoors for a day or two.
Angel didn,t want to eat her pellets straight away but would eat her favourite veg and dandelion leaves,although i did have to waft them under her nose for her to eat them:roll::lol::lol:

You will need to put hay in a rack and keep her on towels/vetbed so hay doesn,t jab her stiches.
The vet will give pain relief before she leaves.
Hope all goes well:D

Awe it is a worrying time but you are definitely doing the best thing. My first two bunnies were mummy & daughter,sadly(going back 15 years) I didn't know about the risks of uterine cancer & both of them developed it. Fortunately both of them recovered with surgery,we were lucky. Goes without saying all my bunnies since have been neutered regardless of sex. Hopefully she will probably be able to come home that day or the next depending on how quickly she recovers from the anaesthetic. She will feel a little delicate for a few days,I remember Lola definitely walked a little oddly after for a little while understandably:( but your bunny should be feeling better in no time:D good luck,sending you and your little girl hugs.xx

Back