• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long do Rabbits live for

Bluexx

Young Bun
Hi

I was just wondering how long Rabbits live for. And what is the oldest Rabbit, anyone has ever had.

It varies, depending on breed and size. A good age for a giant is about 5+ years, a good age for a smaller bunny can be 10+.

My personal oldest was nearly 12 when he died. I know of a lady who had a dutch who died at 17.

My friends and parents rabbits died at 8. With the correct care should be 8 plus.

It varies, depending on breed and size. A good age for a giant is about 5+ years, a good age for a smaller bunny can be 10+.

My personal oldest was nearly 12 when he died. I know of a lady who had a dutch who died at 17.

So when would a giant be considering to be a mature rabbit, for when you should switch there foods and give it that extra bit of care?

So when would a giant be considering to be a mature rabbit, for when you should switch there foods and give it that extra bit of care?

As far as I understand, the reason their life span is shorter is generally because their heart can't cope with the size of the body, given the heart is the same size as that of a smaller rabbit. So, does that mean that the general 'wear and tear' on the body is actually the same as an average 5 year old bunny- so just into middle aged; I don't know.

I would tend to advise more on looking at the condition of the bunny, than an age, personally. I've never needed to put an older bunny on older food though, if anything they tend to need to go back to junior food.

As far as I understand, the reason their life span is shorter is generally because their heart can't cope with the size of the body, given the heart is the same size as that of a smaller rabbit. So, does that mean that the general 'wear and tear' on the body is actually the same as an average 5 year old bunny- so just into middle aged; I don't know.

I would tend to advise more on looking at the condition of the bunny, than an age, personally. I've never needed to put an older bunny on older food though, if anything they tend to need to go back to junior food.

Ok, thank you :)

Back