• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grimlock's Pasteurella - question post 8

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
He's been on depocillin injections since the 18th April, so almost three weeks. Nothing's really happening. His nose is really sore where fur keeps getting stuck too. :(

He's still eating etc but he's not truly happy. I will be ringing the vets on Monday and bring him in to discuss the next step which I think will be nebulisation and possibly using something like Bisolvon to thin the discharge. I think he might need a culture test too. It's just all at the wrong time. I have exams for my degree course next week so I'm really stuck on times I can take him to the vets. I have no money and this is all going to cost a lot. And my poor bunny is all sad. :(

I'm giving him lots of cuddles.

Awe sorry your bunny is unwell,I hope you get some positive results soon & he is binkying back to health in no time.:)Xx

I hope the vet can figure out the best treatment for Grimlock. Sending lots of vibes. Good luck for your exams too! xx

I have an appointment for Friday.
So far he's had the depocillin injections. What do you reckon the next step should be if they're not working?

I have an appointment for Friday.
So far he's had the depocillin injections. What do you reckon the next step should be if they're not working?

I'd say C&S test to see what bacteria his pasteurella is, and then which ABx will be suitable to fight against that particular bacteria.

I'm really sorry poor little Grim is suffering Jenova, and that its all come at the wrong time. Life likes to throw challenges like this at us.

Good luck for your exams and i'll be thinking of you and Grim, i know you'll do your best :)

I'd also say c+s testing but he may need to be abx free for a while to get a true result having been on penicillin up until now, this will depend on how well he is in himself and if he can manage a week without abx to let them leave his system.

I don't see any harm in requesting a full frontal attack on the pasturella to try and really knock it on the head, so bisolvon, nebulising and NSAID's all at the same time to give him a good chance of recovery, alongside an appropriate abx. I hope Grimlock is feeling better soon x

Thanks.
I looks like my Friday appointment is questionable now. One of our modules was a load of utter :censored: and we're still working on the coursework over four weeks after it finished. We wanted to have it demoed and handed in on Wednesday so we would be free for our exam on Thursday and I could take Grim on Friday, but it's not finished so I think we'll be demoing it on Friday. Now I have to see what time and if I can still fit the vets in. But maybe if it's best for him to go without any treatment for a week for a culture test I could postpone it until Monday depending on his health.

Grrr.

I moved the ramp that goes on top of the hutch last night as I was putting them in for the night and he ran straight into it and banged his head. :cry:

Back