• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding?

Hey Guys, so im a new member of Rabbits United and this is my very first thread.
I've heard different views on what bedding to use in my rabbit hutch. For example, i was told not to use wood shavings as these cause problems. I know hay should not be used for bedding. What would be best to use on the floors of my hutch im getting a new one and i want to make a new start.

Right now im using :

newspaper
wood shavings
Straw

for bedding

THANKS

SARAH X

p.s. please, i am new and quite young so please dont judge me too harshly if i have done anything wrong. Thanks again X) :wave:

I prefer not to use hay as bedding as my two monsters turn the hutch into a giant litter tray :roll: but do make sure there is plenty of fresh hay for eating!

I use a carpet runner on the bottom floor of the hutch and straw in the "bedroom" :wave:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Wood shavings are bad for health so well done for thinking to change them :) You could use newspaper and a blanket in one area then hay in the rest? I have a shed with a dog crate in it as a base for my buns and in the base they have newspaper, a blanket, a litter tray with newspaper and hay in it then hay in the other areas of the crate.

If you could get a litter tray, cat litter trays or underbed storage containers work well then that would make cleaning easier for you, rabbits are usually fairly easy to litter train.

xxx

Back