• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming

dinklepip

Alpha Buck
Mmmmmmm as I am turning into a completely paranoid mum, especially with my recent probs with Bella, should I be worming them both. I have read conflicting information in that yes I should be worming regularly and NO, only if they show signs of having worms.

Can't say I have wormed them for a long time now, can't even remember if I did last year I will have to check with vet.

I am a paranoid poo mum and check their poos regularly for signs of anything.

I do have a cat and I know neighbour's cats come visiting during the night when they are safely tucked away. Only other visitors to my small garden is birds. I do move their 18ft run around the lawn for fresher grass. I no longer get hedghogs as there is no access for them as my garden is fenced all the way around.

Am I taking unecessary chances not having them done?

Mmmmmmm as I am turning into a completely paranoid mum, especially with my recent probs with Bella, should I be worming them both. I have read conflicting information in that yes I should be worming regularly and NO, only if they show signs of having worms.

Can't say I have wormed them for a long time now, can't even remember if I did last year I will have to check with vet.

I am a paranoid poo mum and check their poos regularly for signs of anything.

I do have a cat and I know neighbour's cats come visiting during the night when they are safely tucked away. Only other visitors to my small garden is birds. I do move their 18ft run around the lawn for fresher grass. I no longer get hedghogs as there is no access for them as my garden is fenced all the way around.

Am I taking unecessary chances not having them done?

No, I wouldnt say you are taking unecessary chances in not having them done but if there is any doubt I would say that it wouldnt hurt to worm them.
We worm Jimby and Cookie every 6 months using a full treatment of 28 days, some people do 4 times a year on the preventative course of 9 days however there are mixed opinions on this one due to 9 days not being long enough to treat if there were actually a problem.

No, I wouldnt say you are taking unecessary chances in not having them done but if there is any doubt I would say that it wouldnt hurt to worm them.
We worm Jimby and Cookie every 6 months using a full treatment of 28 days, some people do 4 times a year on the preventative course of 9 days however there are mixed opinions on this one due to 9 days not being long enough to treat if there were actually a problem.

When Oscar had pinworms a few weeks back, we were told to put him on a 9 day course of panacur and there was no more signs or wormy poos after 3.

I personally wouldn't worm them unless there was signs of worms, I'm sure i read somewhere that they can become immune? I don't know if that's true or not though...

When Oscar had pinworms a few weeks back, we were told to put him on a 9 day course of panacur and there was no more signs or wormy poos after 3.
I personally wouldn't worm them unless there was signs of worms, I'm sure i read somewhere that they can become immune? I don't know if that's true or not though...

:? Ok now I am confused, I was always under the impression that the 9 day course is soley for prevention not treatment?!

:? Ok now I am confused, I was always under the impression that the 9 day course is soley for prevention not treatment?!

My vet told us the treatment was 9 days... whichever it was it worked!

ETA: found the instructions in the box and it does say 9 days preventative, 28 days treatment. Wonder why our vets only told us 9 days treatment... :? Is it worth starting up the treatment again, because the 9 days ended a week ago, and there is no more signs of worms...

(apologies for thread hijack!)

Last edited:
My vet told us the treatment was 9 days... whichever it was it worked!

ETA: found the instructions in the box and it does say 9 days preventative, 28 days treatment. Wonder why our vets only told us 9 days treatment... :? Is it worth starting up the treatment again, because the 9 days ended a week ago, and there is no more signs of worms...

(apologies for thread hijack!)

I would say probably best to leave it for now but if any more signs of worms arise then I would go ahead with the 28 day treatment.

For internal parasites like worms, 9 days can be fine- the worms do die after three and sometimes you can see them coming out dead, sometimes not.

The preventative, etc, is related to EC, which is a spore.

I personally think its ('it' being Fenbendazole) useless for EC, but have used it when necessary for pinworms and found it exceptionally effective.

There have been suggestions that it can potentially damage the bone marrow although this is purely speculatory at this point.

For internal parasites like worms, 9 days can be fine- the worms do die after three and sometimes you can see them coming out dead, sometimes not.

The preventative, etc, is related to EC, which is a spore.

I personally think its ('it' being Fenbendazole) useless for EC, but have used it when necessary for pinworms and found it exceptionally effective.

There have been suggestions that it can potentially damage the bone marrow although this is purely speculatory at this point.

Yes, the bone marrow thing always worried me - I wrote to the Veterinary Council and the manufacturer and they both stated that if you didn't exceed the recommended doses, it shouldn't affect bunnies (keeps everything crossed):shock: - but of course once you hear these things....

I did do the 28 day course just before Christmas and think I will do the 9 day course when they have their next vaccinations all being well - I just can't not do it now!

Yes, the bone marrow thing always worried me - I wrote to the Veterinary Council and the manufacturer and they both stated that if you didn't exceed the recommended doses, it shouldn't affect bunnies (keeps everything crossed):shock: - but of course once you hear these things....

I did do the 28 day course just before Christmas and think I will do the 9 day course when they have their next vaccinations all being well - I just can't not do it now!

What is it you're worming against?

Back