• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cecotroph???

Leelu

Alpha Buck
This might not be anything but I have my over-protective worry head on today.
Baby buns have been fine all morning, eating lots of hay, running around and doing good hard poo's.
Around lunchtime I smelt something weird and on inspecting the buns Ivy had Cecotroph stuck around her bum and all in her fur. We cleaned her with some water and tissue and shes been running around again and producing nice normal Cecotrophs.
Just noticed that Harli has produced some but although some are normal others are almost runny. She is behaving her normal self as well which isn't helping my worry.
OH doesn't seem to think its too much to worry about either :?

I only brought them home yesterday so I am wondering if it was just the stress of that as well as being in a new place and that we added a few of different pellets to their feed.
:(

I would see how they go if they are eating and pooping normally now.
It could quite easily be the stress of moving or the upset of introducing a new pellet.
IMO I would say that it may be best to go back to using their old feed without the new for the next few days then try to reintroduce again to see if that is the problem.

Just had Ivy on my lap, with her towel between me and her, and as I went to put her with her sister a huge lump of squished up poo fell off her :( her and Harli then had a good clean and a lie down
I've got them in the playpen in front of me so I can keep an eye on them, and they seem to be sleeping :)

Thank you for your advice :) it helps to have reassurance

Oh dear :( Just keep a very close eye on them and make sure you keep their bums clean and dry due to the risk of flystrike!

They are indoor buns and I am keeping all windows and doors closed for the time being until they are better :) Oh and I am a ruthless fly killer when needed :D

How close to the buns were you when you smelt "the smell"?

Can you describe the smell at all? Smelly Caeco's indicates some sort of imblance in the gut :wave:

I was rather close :oops:
I thought it smelt a bit like hay and fertiliser while OH said its like mouldy tea bags :?
I have continued to keep giving them lots of hay and fresh water and the poos are now more soiled and less smelly.
Honestly think I gave them too much food last night so sticking to hay until tomorrow morning and will re-asses unless it gets worse tonight

I thought it smelt a bit like hay and fertiliser while OH said its like mouldy tea bags :?
I have continued to keep giving them lots of hay and fresh water and the poos are now more soiled and less smelly.
Honestly think I gave them too much food last night so sticking to hay until tomorrow morning and will re-asses unless it gets worse tonight

Great plan! :thumb:

Just checked Ivy's bum and its all gone :) Few poo's stuck so brushed them off but fingers and everything else crossed she's okay now :)

ahh alright! I was getting worried :lol: too much food (pellets or fresh) can upset thier tummies, you sound like you're doing the right thing :D

I was worried too! I guess I have seen so many other worried poo posts it all sort of freaked me out
The OH said I was being irrational :lol:
Just hope it continues to get better now :)

Back