• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3 legged bunnies-anything i need to know-now adopted!!

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hiya
I am considering adopting a 3 legged bunny and just wondered if there was any info i needed to know. He lost his leg 2 years ago after it was badly broken and is now about 3 years old. He copes well but i just am a little concerned about bonding and long term possible problems.

Last edited:
hiya
I am considering adopting a 3 legged bunny and just wondered if there was any info i needed to know. He lost his leg 2 years ago after it was badly broken and is now about 3 years old. He copes well but i just am a little concerned about bonding and long term possible problems.

I can't comment on bonding, but another user did post this video of a 3 legged rabbit, not sure how helpful it is, but he/she seems fine :D

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281698

(about halfway down the thread)

I have a 3 legged bun, Billy, and I haven't experienced any problems. :wave:

He can still out run me and jump on top of his hutch! He was already bonded, so not sure if it would cause a problem for bonding. He leans against his wife to clean himself, and she helps to keep him clean too of course!

I think the extra pressure on the other limbs caused some pain over the winter, so he was put on Metacam.

Go for it! I love my tripod bunny! :wave:

You will probably need to clean out the ear on the missing side if its a back leg .. other than that they're about the same as a four legged bun :)

thanks everyone! its actually a front leg missing so i think I am going to go for it!

Oh, right. With Billy, it's his back leg. I think it's a bit harder for a bun to lose a front leg, from what I've read.

But I still say go for it! :wave: I'm always drawn to the animals with disabilities. :)

My Riley has a front leg missing, and he is unstoppable :D. He bonded easily with Taffy and now with Taffy and Oose, no problems at all.

My two bridge buns with three legs (missing hind legs) were different, while Trio was very disabled, Bigwig was perfectly mobile. It depends entirely on the bunny.

thanks everyone! its actually a front leg missing so i think I am going to go for it!

If its front leg then he will need places to balance against to wash himself and he may need help with keeping that side of his face/eye clean. also check for sore hocks at the back regularly as there will be extra weight on his hind legs.

Yes please go for it :D :love: :lol:

thanks everyone for your support and advice!!

It's official he's coming to live with me and the Bunny Mad family!:D I am going to hopefully bond him with Izzy who was a very gentle bunny with her dear friend Teddy so I hope they will be a good match. After the heartache of losing teddy its been hard to think about getting another but Izzy deserves a new friend and I think he will be good for us both!

he's at scunthorpe rabbit rescue, he was taken in by a lady 2 years ago with a broken leg and sadly lost it,she took care of him but sadly has developed alziemers and can no longer care for him. although i haven't met him yet I have been told he's a wonderful, cuddly bun so can't wait to meet him!

Back