• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excess cecals in large space, no excess cecals in small space

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I didn't know where to put this, because it could fit in all the Rabbit Care sections, so I opted out completely and put it here. Mods, please feel free to move if you think it sits somewhere better :)

Basically, I have The Swarming, which is a trio made up of 'nethie' siblings (one female- Sunny, two males- Dawn and Hope- Yes, the names are all the wrong way round gender wise :lol:), who will be four at the start of June. They have been bonded for three years now- never a fight (even in bonding), still lots of sleeping together, sitting together, doing stuff together, grooming, as well as all taking time apart. Dawn has a perchant for chasing, but never nipping or fur pulling and then he will groom them after.

For a couple of years, often, someone (I don't know who) has had one or two excess cecatrophs. These have come and gone and shifts of accommodation have made changes.

Currently they live in a walk in enclosure, but a few months ago they had to go into a Thistle Hall because they had lice and as well as treating them we did a full big clean of their enclosure. The cecatrophs completely disappeared. Then, when they moved back into the enclosure they came back, just one or two. The time in a small area really helped them reconfirm their bond.

These past three days its been like a cecatroph fest and its not pleasant. They actually look pretty good, normal 'sausage' shape, all formed, non stinky, not even squished. All bunnies are very clean. All bunnies are bright and eating and 'normal'.

The only difference I can see in anyone is Hope. He has long since been more of a lonerb(right back to being in the nest, whatever everyone else was doing, Hope would be doing something else, and its this quality that helped him fit in in a trio) but I've noticed more this week that its harder to get a response from him without the others around (like if he is in the hutch and they are downstairs in the enclosure). My suspicion is that he is deaf, either, just gone deaf (which would be pretty random) or his hearing has worsened.

Two of the three have had dentals, but Hope used to have them every 8 months, but since moving outside hasn't needed one (which is coming up to two years in August).

My feeling is that the excess cecals are the product of unhappiness or stress, but I don't know how to fix it, or where even to start.

I feel at a loss, and I don't even know what to do to make a difference. I'm going to give some bramble's later and they are busy demolishing some apple sticks and were eating hay when I left them.

Can anyone please suggest anything? sorry its so long.

Guessing they don't get loads of pellets:)

Are they on grass?

I know when I first got one of my rabbits they were so hungry they just ate hay the whole time and didn't bother with the cecals.

Other than that, it could be boredom in a small enclosure?

Just two pellets, one in the morning, one in the evening, and the rest is hays. No, on concrete.

i don't think they are bored; its better in the small area (with less to do) than in the larger area. They have stuff to chew on, stuff to munch, space to run around, etc.

Just two pellets, one in the morning, one in the evening, and the rest is hays. No, on concrete.

i don't think they are bored; its better in the small area (with less to do) than in the larger area. They have stuff to chew on, stuff to munch, space to run around, etc.

I wasn't saying I thought your buns were bored:shock::oops: I know they get the best care a bun could wish for:)

I don't know why I am being dim, what I meant was that maybe he eats them in the small area as there is less to distract him?

When did the vet last give them a check up?

Sorry, I misunderstood. It is possible that there is less to do so let's eat some cecals.

They saw the vet at the start of April and even though somebunny has produced these for a couple of years, no ones gut has ever felt 'off'. These past few days its got much worse though, which isn't great, so I'll have to keep an eye and take them if necessary.

Back