• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Petie is at peace now

hannah.mc

Warren Scout
:cry:

I'm sad to say Petie passed away yesterday afternoon.
He looked very peaceful when I found him, like he was asleep.
He's been an amazing pet for me for 5 years and has been a fabulous bunny for very nearly 10 years.
He is a loss to the rabbit world and my world especially.
Thanks for you support and wishes.
Buttons is well and ate a really good evening meal of kale and herbs.
She roaming around the garden this morning gardening but looking at alot of grass that she's now got to keep down!!!!

Any other tips for grieving rabbits? We sat the three of us yesterday til she wanted to get down and she's nursed him through his illness so I know she understands (as much as a little rabbit can) that he's gone.

:love:

I'm very sorry. Sleep tight Petie xxx Sorry I don't know about grieving rabbits, i'm sure there a re a lot of people on here that do though, hope Buttons is ok too xxx

As I aid in my last post, I am sorry for your and Buttons loss:cry:

How does Buttons seem in herself? I am glad she is eating. It sounds like she is coping really well, which is great.

I am so sorry about Petie, he sounds like a very special bun :cry::cry::cry:

Maybe when you feel ready you could consider adopting a friend for your grieving girl? xxxx

She's been slightly affected by his illness for the last few weeks - little bits of poo on her under carraige when normally she's completely spotless. She's a very active bunny and the last few weeks he just hasn't been.
I've just got in from a few hours of human contact and sanity and she hid under the hutch initially (something she did anyway) but she's come out into the garden now and pottered. She was just sitting where they used to sit so I went out to her but she won't let me apporach to pick her up (again normal for her)
As she ran I could spot a little poo on her bottom so I know she's not 100% I also found some caetotrophs (sticky poos,sorry I can't spell the word...) and I've never seen any of hers before but maybe she's eating more for comfort. I've popped her sticky poos in her food bowl to encourage her to eat them later but don't anticiapte her doing so.
She does love digging and will push her tunnel round the garden and run up and down it so when I nip out tomorrow I'll look for more things for her to play with.
She also loves to gnaw laural branches so I'll clip some fresh ones tomorrow for her to chew on.
I think she may well need a pall in time but I thought I'ld at least initially let us both grief and see how she goes? I got her very quickly when Petie's previous wife died very suddenly but then that was because he was a complete cuddle bun and fretted terribley on his own.
Madam is quite independent and willful (part of the reason I love her!!!!)

[/I]

As I aid in my last post, I am sorry for your and Buttons loss:cry:

How does Buttons seem in herself? I am glad she is eating. It sounds like she is coping really well, which is great.

I am so sorry for your loss :cry::cry:

We recently lost our special boy too and his wife bun behaved rather similarily for a few days, it's really important to keep an eye on her eating and output as you are doing as grief can cause gut slowdown and bun withdrawing into themselves. Poppy was off for a few days, upset tum too, but has come out of her very nervous rescue bunny shell even more than she ever did when she had her husbun to rely upon and is doing very well. The only time she seems very lonely is in the evenings, but she is a house bun. We will be getting her a new friend later in the summer hopefully when it is the right time for us for lots of reasons. Every bun grieves differently and some are ready sooner than others for a new friend.

So sorry again about Petie....sounds like he was loved so much :) xx

She's been slightly affected by his illness for the last few weeks - little bits of poo on her under carraige when normally she's completely spotless. She's a very active bunny and the last few weeks he just hasn't been.
I've just got in from a few hours of human contact and sanity and she hid under the hutch initially (something she did anyway) but she's come out into the garden now and pottered. She was just sitting where they used to sit so I went out to her but she won't let me apporach to pick her up (again normal for her)
As she ran I could spot a little poo on her bottom so I know she's not 100% I also found some caetotrophs (sticky poos,sorry I can't spell the word...) and I've never seen any of hers before but maybe she's eating more for comfort. I've popped her sticky poos in her food bowl to encourage her to eat them later but don't anticiapte her doing so.
She does love digging and will push her tunnel round the garden and run up and down it so when I nip out tomorrow I'll look for more things for her to play with.
She also loves to gnaw laural branches so I'll clip some fresh ones tomorrow for her to chew on.
I think she may well need a pall in time but I thought I'ld at least initially let us both grief and see how she goes? I got her very quickly when Petie's previous wife died very suddenly but then that was because he was a complete cuddle bun and fretted terribley on his own.
Madam is quite independent and willful (part of the reason I love her!!!!)

[/I]

Ooh no not Laural honey - poisonous :wave:

:cry: Oh Hannah, I am so very sorry (I was in lakes so didn't see this until now). He was such a lovely little bunny and no way did he look like he was 10, such a young looking cute face.

Your care and dedication to him has been fantastic and he was very lucky to have you caring for him.

Last edited:
Back