• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Becoming a breeder ?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

peaches-

Young Bun
Are any of you guys breeders/hobbiest breeders ?
How do you find it ?
And,
Would you recommend doing it or not ? x

Why would you want to do it? What would you hope to gain from it? What would be your point of it?

Also, this is likely to open a can of worms, so do be ready for that.

Just fort id open a discussion was curious haha
i dont want to do it but was just wondering how the whole ordeal goes down ha x

At this point it would be fair to warn you that the vast majority of the paople on this site are against breeding. There are an awful lot of people working very hard to find homes for the roughly 35000 rabbits in the uk at the moment.

Are any of you guys breeders/hobbiest breeders ?
How do you find it ?
And,
Would you recommend doing it or not ? x

Come on guys lets be nice and explain. Not everyone knows why not or realises the downsides

This forum is very much a rescue based forum which means it is a bit anti breeder (unofficially). Reasons being that there are so many rescue bunnies looking for forever homes that bringing more into the world is just so unnecessary.

I wouldnt recommend doing it for several reasons. Firstly unless you know the pedigree of your bunny for a few generations back then you could be breeding problems eg teeth sore feet etc. Also mummy bunny giving birth isnt that easy, what would you do if she died or rejected them? Its really not worth the mither.

If you want baby bunnies why not foster for a rescue they often have litters and pregnant does in

Last edited:
I would like to say im not thinking of doing it at all i was just curious as to how and why people do it as it seems to be quite an ordeal and somtimes a tragic process for bun and owner if the gain is little and the buns end up unloved x

I would like to say im not thinking of doing it at all i was just curious as to how and why people do it as it seems to be quite an ordeal and somtimes a tragic process for bun and owner if the gain is little and the buns end up unloved x

Yup a question a lot of people on here often ask, as you say the outcome often isnt good :(

:thumb: If you're thinking about the welfare of the rabbits then generally its better to just spay/neuter and bond :)

sorry you got called a troll :(
think kath has explained it well though and not really anything to add there :)

I think most people start as they think they can make money from it:roll: Then realise they cant thus thousands of unwanted, neglected bunnies. Then rescues have to pick up the pieces:cry:

No never society is already flooded with unwanted neglected abused animals. The ones who make it to a rescue are the lucky ones & might get a second chance for thousands maybe millions it's not so good.

In general but moreso in the current economic climate I cannot see it as anything other than selfish & irresponsible, in my view anyone who truly cares about animal welfare thinks about the bigger picture, having a sense of responsibility towards the animals that are already inexistence and a conscience about your actions and an awareness of ethics would mean that it's not a 'good' thing at all to do.

Haha im not botherd about the troll thing some people have very small minds and dont actuali think to ask before they judge why some1 asks a question :) .
its pure curiousity, as a few people i know hobby breed and keep the majority of buns between them and then the rest go to loving homes.
they love it but they said they wouldnt recommend doing it i was just wondering if any1 shared the same opinon x

Haha im not botherd about the troll thing some people have very small minds and dont actuali think to ask before they judge why some1 asks a question :) .
its pure curiousity, as a few people i know hobby breed and keep the majority of buns between them and then the rest go to loving homes.
they love it but they said they wouldnt recommend doing it i was just wondering if any1 shared the same opinon x
The sad things is those homes could have gone to buns in rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back