• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

E. cunniculi question.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
We suspect Molly has E.c and is under going treatment.
Molly also has cataracts and has had them since she arrived age 10 months old. I seem to remember that E.c can cause these.

Is it possibly that she had E.c all that time ago, she's over 4 now, she recovered and was left with cataracts, and it has been sitting dormant only flaring up while she was 'stressed' due to dental problems.

I would say yes, that's possible. Wee soul.

AFAIK once they have EC, they never totally 'recover' from it, and it is always there, and can flare up at times of stress.

Thanks. She doesn't seem to be badly affected, weak on the back legs and her urea levels are up on her bloods but I don't think too high and her creatinine is normal (certainly with cats that is good news).

Do you know if her kidneys will now continue to deteriorate or once treatment is given will the damage stabilise.

I dont know enough to be able to say, sorry, but my instinct is that it should stabilise with EC treatment.

I think with Kenco the EC treatment has stabilised things with his kidneys, but then e havent had him re-tested so I am only saying that on the observation that he hasnt got visibly worse. Maybe he should be rechecked at some point I dont know.

I dont know enough to be able to say, sorry, but my instinct is that it should stabilise with EC treatment.

I think with Kenco the EC treatment has stabilised things with his kidneys, but then e havent had him re-tested so I am only saying that on the observation that he hasnt got visibly worse. Maybe he should be rechecked at some point I dont know.

Im the same as this with Inca, she had bloods taken at the time of EC, showing reduced kidney function, but she has not been re-tested since the meds, but then she has put on weight and seemed to be recovering for the time being.

Im the same as this with Inca, she had bloods taken at the time of EC, showing reduced kidney function, but she has not been re-tested since the meds, but then she has put on weight and seemed to be recovering for the time being.

Yeah same here.

I would suspect that yes, probably the cataracts were the first sign of a problem.

If it is genuine EC then you'll have an up and down rollercoaster where she appears to improve as her immune system mounts an attack, and then the spore attacks back, so she deteriorates, and each deterioration will be worse than before. The left hind leg weakness is also classic of early, genuine, active EC.

Back