• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

flooring for outdoor bunny enclosure just realised I've posted in wrong place

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
Im building a new run/living area for my buns in the garden. The space i have got is around 8x8 foot possibly bigger. Im going to build a avairy style set up with a big hutch inside for night time and horrible days. My question is what does everyone use for a floor? At the moment its soil as its kind of a large raised flower bed with railway sleepers as edging. I will try and post pics later. I need slabs down for the hutch to sit on and was going to turf half of it but not sure how it will fair with 2 buns on it all day! but Im unsure of what to do with the rest. Any ideas would be great.

Last edited:
You could use turf but make sure you mesh underneath so nothing can dig in or out, but the trouble is with such a permanent enclosure once the grass is eaten it could very easily become mud.

I have slabs under all my runs and just have a temporary folding run I can use for supervised access to the grass.

Yeah i was worried about grass becoming mud. I can't have them on the grass as my oh parents have got cats and a dog that use the grass as a toilet. Thanks for ure reply x

You could always grow grass in pots to put in the run if you wanted to go with the slabs. I personally find the slabs so much cleaner and they are easier to disinfect/clean god forbid one of the bunnies should get something awful.

Thanks Amy for your replies have decided to go with slabs but going to concrete them in as my oh mum will use it as an extra patio are when we move. Its all started to come together but am abit nervous as I've never built anything before!

Back