• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on creating a neutral territory

scoobylou

Young Bun
I have 3 males within a room, all next to each other. One of the males was neutered so he was fully litter trained, when I brought the other two in who are litter mates a lot of pooing and peeing started within the area of the cages. I have recently got the 2 neutered (about 4 weeks ago) so they are all now neutered. I was hoping for some advice on how to make the cage area neutral e.g. how to clean dry pee strains off the carpet & dis-infect the area hopefully to try cut down there need to mark there territory since they are now neutered & have calmed down a lot. I want to clean the area so that I can hoping train them to use a large litter tray that I have had for them for a while.
I'm hoping to see whether they will feel comfortable around each other so that in the future I can try to bond them, so by seeing whether I can stop them marking their territory is going to be an important decision as to whether its worth trying to bond them.
I have bought this spray from pets at home, do you think it would be enough or would I need something stronger?
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/john...ctant-for-small-pet-trigger-spray-500ml-15784

people normally recommend white vinegar diluted with water 50/50 to neutralise the rabbits living areas.

to bond you would need to move them away from their normal housing anyway. i did that by moving the buns indoors (they need constant watching anyway) and then i put the vinegar in a spray gun and did all the shed and run while they were bonding. it stinks but it did the job when i put them back out. :)

If I try to bond them I am gonna do it in a neutral area, at the moment I just want them to be litter trained more than anything (I'm fed up of standing in poop lol). So I'm trying to get rid of their smell.
Do u think its better to get them to use one litter tray, or give them all individual ones?

I use that spray and white vinegar for my hamster's wheel as she seems to use that as a litter tray :evil:
Will be using both when the buns arrive

If I try to bond them I am gonna do it in a neutral area, at the moment I just want them to be litter trained more than anything (I'm fed up of standing in poop lol). So I'm trying to get rid of their smell.
Do u think its better to get them to use one litter tray, or give them all individual ones?

i'd certainly put more than 1 in there. if the buns are all new to each other the pooping all over is a terratorial thing and should calm down.

Have you got small/cheap litter trays inside each of their hutches?
I know Poundland inthe Uk does cat litter trays for well £1. Try putting a litter tray in each of their cages, then after a day to two combien the contents of the trays into the big tray and place in the area you want them to use? Might also help them get used to the scent of each other?
If you're worried about carpet stains try getting some cheap carpet (again poundland for very cheap door mats work) and put down over the area that have been used in the past, but spray with the anti-pee spray. They can also be used to give bunies corridors over laminate/stone/tiles floors. Great in kitchens! Certain types of cheap carpet are really easy to clean as well, meaning they get stained, but your nice carpet underneith says all clean!
I managed to move my rabbit from one corner of the room to another by moving the carpet his litter tray had sat on as well as the litter tray since both had his scent quite heavily on them. I also didn't replace all the litter so his smell would be strong in the new location.

Back