• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taming My bunny

Helenandrio

Young Bun
Just wondering if any one has got any good tips on how to get my bun really tame, at the moment he doesn't mind being stroked and will eat out of my hand and would like some input on how to get him really tame so me and my 5 boys can have him running around the house with out the OH going into one :?

I wouldn't look at it as being 'tame' because you're not trying to change him, what you want to do is earn and win his trust.

I'm a bit confused though, why does 'taming' him relate to your other half 'going into one'?

It does sound like he trusts you quite a lot, which is good, I would suggest just keep working on it. Also, getting him neutered and getting him a spayed wifey bunny would likely improve his life and help him even more.

lol ive had my bun for about a year and a half and spent ages trying to find out how to make him a bit more tame and he still isnt he trusts me but i could never tame him, he just sort of does what he wants when he wants and there is nothing i can do apart from trying to teach him that its naughty but he dont care he just runs off and binkys about.

some times i think that rabbit loves to be told off:roll::D

it depends what you mean by "tame"
by their natures, bunnies are very independent.

there are the exceptions to the rule, but most of them aren't interested in coming when you call etc etc.

they like things to be on their own terms and to do things their own way :)

If he s a bit tamer then the OH will let him run around the flat :(
Sorry if it sounded bad

What is he doing that your OH doesn't like?

Talking about 'taming' a bunny implies the bunny needs to change, but actually, the issue is you guys and how you're working with him; not the bunny.

:wave:

He seems like a very content bunny, feeding out of your hand shows he trusts you! :)

I presume your OH is worried that you wont be able to return the bun to his cage after free range time yes?

My buns hate being picked up or put back in their hutch. Ive dealt with this by shaking their food bowl with pellets in it & theyve learnt to hop back into their hutch!

Yes the OH doesnt want him to walk around the flat incase yes he doesn't go back in his hutch and he is scared that he will do his business on the carpet although he uses his litter tray.
I hope I haven't ofended any one by saying I want to "tame" him I didn't mean to

Yes the OH doesnt want him to walk around the flat incase yes he doesn't go back in his hutch and he is scared that he will do his business on the carpet although he uses his litter tray.
I hope I haven't ofended any one by saying I want to "tame" him I didn't mean to

Is he neutered? If not, then theres less chance of him using a litter tray. Once neutered, there is a higher chance that he'll always use the tray.

However, some buns just WONT use the tray at all :wave:

At the moment he is using the litter tray well he isn't neutered yet not sure when I can get it done how old does he have to be to get it done he is 14/15 weeks I think

I would suggest working on training him to come to a particular call or noise of food, so that he associates it with food and comes running, thus making him easier to go away. Also, starting with a small space and increasing it up when he is reliable with coming will make it easier too.

With regards to litter training, that is nothing to do with bonding with him, you need to work on teaching him how to use the litter tray. Some bunnies though, are not reliable. Neutering is a good place to start if he isn't aleeady neutered.

And don't worry, no offense taken at all :)

i was just about to say arent rabbits suppose to be like really stubborn??? i heard some one tell me that but i cant remeber who :?:D

i dont see how u can actually tame a rabbit at all though. scooter still quite wild so times lol although he does have his moments very rare though but other than that he has good character very cheeky and hes always upto something :lol: theres one thing though theres never a dull moment with him :lol::D

Is he neutered? If not, then theres less chance of him using a litter tray. Once neutered, there is a higher chance that he'll always use the tray.

However, some buns just WONT use the tray at all :wave:

mine for example.
he knows exactly what a litter tray is for and used to use it, but now, even after a neuter, he won't and poops where he feels like :lol:

his fave trick is pushing his butt through the bars of the pen and pooping outside it - well, why mess up his cage when he can destroy my carpet :lol:

about some bunnies not using the litter tray - mine shove it out of the way so they can do their business in the corner :roll: They live in a shed so not such a big problem

Does anyone know a good place where I can get Rio neuter in London

I'd suggest posting a new thread with something like 'Looking for a good vet in London, ' as the title, with your rough area on the end. That should get you some more answers :)

Back