• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clover - 7.5 yr old bunny with collapsed vertebrae - U/D Clover has gone

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Hello there,

Sorry for not being around here much - I used to be a regular on this place, though still check by to read from time to time. I would sincerely appreciate some advice on my bunny Clover. Unfortunately, she has been diagnosed with collapsed vertebrae in her spine and it has been a struggle to get her stable since then. Clover is a relatively old bunny at 7.5 years old.

I noticed Clover was losing a little weight and had trouble hopping (weak left hind leg) about 3-4 weeks ago. She was xrayed and the vet diagnosed an area of spinal injury, two vertebrae look 'collapsed', like a slipped disc. We have no idea what has caused it. I spend a fair bit of time with my bunnies and haven't noticed anything.

Clover has done well in the last three-four weeks, slowly but surely. Her mobility is poor and she has needed help with pain relief and keeping herself clean. Her appetite is variable and I have been topping her up regularly with lots of syringe feeds. My goal has been to see if I can her pain under control to a point where possible inflammation might settle, and that I can evaluate how happy she is and her quality of life beyond that. As far as I am aware, there are no surgical or other medical options relevant for Clover at this time.

At the moment, she receives twice daily Metacam and top ups of Vetergesic if her pain seems particularly bad. We have turned a very small corner now in that she is eating on her own, has a reasonable appetitie and is looking ever so slightly perkier. Her mobility is still very poor. I have made her an accessible litter tray and help her move around a little bit to stop her being bored. Her bunny friend Archie is being reasonably attentive though he is quite boisterous overall. She really likes him though and they have been together for a long time.

Does anyone have experience of nursing a bunny with a spinal injury? Can anyone help me with their experiences of how to judge a bunny's quality of life? I'm prepared to look after her if she is disabled as long as I'm sure she's happy enough. It's hard to work out whether I am doing the right thing.

Any experience, advice or views on spinal injury and managing long term disability in bunnies will be much appreciated.

Fiona

Last edited:
My bunny Inca is deformed at her back end, she is having problems just now woth her right back leg, she i holding it funny. She has been X-Rayed and has arthritis in her hips and a slight curve to her spine. She is on daily Metacam just now and she is 2 visits in to a course f acupuncture.
Would acupuncture help? It is rather costly if you have not got insurance, but if you are insured then it should be covered?

Also, as a last resort Steroids. They can have better results than Metacam, but they are deffo more when it comes to the paliative care stage.

I would say that if bun is getting about, eating and drinking then she is trying to fight on. I think what you are doing is great with the accessible litter tray, just make sure that there are no other obstacles that she could fall over.

Positive vibes for the little one x

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice as so far(touch wood) I have not experienced this.just want to send lots of get well vibes for your bunny.I'm sure you are doing an amazing job.x

My bunny Inca is deformed at her back end, she is having problems just now woth her right back leg, she i holding it funny. She has been X-Rayed and has arthritis in her hips and a slight curve to her spine. She is on daily Metacam just now and she is 2 visits in to a course f acupuncture.
Would acupuncture help? It is rather costly if you have not got insurance, but if you are insured then it should be covered?

Also, as a last resort Steroids. They can have better results than Metacam, but they are deffo more when it comes to the paliative care stage.

I would say that if bun is getting about, eating and drinking then she is trying to fight on. I think what you are doing is great with the accessible litter tray, just make sure that there are no other obstacles that she could fall over.

Positive vibes for the little one x

This ^^ basically.My Lily has spinal problems and her brother.I keep them very clean,checking bums,pain relief as required, monthly vet checks (she has teeth probs too),and only a ground floor.
If bunny wants to keep on living, then I will do my utmost to help the fight.

Tiesto, my black and white dutchi has exactly the same thing:?

Hers is not as severe as Clovers though. She is on Metacam .6mls twice a day and Corta-Vet 1ml twice a day too.

Unfortunately my o/h and dog have prolapsed discs too, so if you find a miracle cure please let me know:(

Vibes for Clover:love:

Thank you for your replies. Hope all of the other bunnies on here with this problem are okay. I'll let you know how Clover is getting on

Fiona

Hello there.

I thought I'd let you know that yesterday I made the decision to help Clover on her way.

I was so sorry I couldn't help her more but she was struggling very much. Her mobility had deteriorated even more and she quickly lost all interest in all of the things she enjoyed, despite encouragement. Her bunny friend Archie was with her right until the end.

My heart is broken and I'll miss my gentle, sweet bunny.

I'll post a little tribute to her on Rainbow Bridge later on but just to say thanks for your supportive messages.

Fiona

the hardest but most respected choice you ever have to make is whether to keep thm going or take the hardest choice for us in letting them go. I think lil bun would thankyou for not letting her suffer and that she knows how hard that choice wasto make you heard her asking for help to go!
Our love is with you at this sad time.

Im so sorry Fiona,you obviously loved your bunny very much and made the selfless decision to stop her suffering,big hugs to you.Sleep tight beautiful Clover xx

Back