• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you use Fly Strike prevention

Mrs Cullen

Alpha Buck
Hi, I was told on my last visit to the vets to get a Fly Strike prevention product, when we go back for Jacob's mix jab in July. I was just wondering how many of you use it? Both Bella and Jacob have had no problems with their bottoms as yet, so I am not sure if any treatment is required?

I haven't, but I have had it on stand by for my girl with spinal damage and my girl with head tilt. I don't see a need for it with my rabbits as they currently are.

I have not because I do daily bum checks, daily litter box changes, have a fly screen over their mesh, some bags of cotton wool with citronella oil on hanging on the outside of their kennel, I do have some just in case one of the buns gets a sticky bum or if they have to be cared for by a pet sitter

Hi, I was told on my last visit to the vets to get a Fly Strike prevention product, when we go back for Jacob's mix jab in July. I was just wondering how many of you use it? Both Bella and Jacob have had no problems with their bottoms as yet, so I am not sure if any treatment is required?

Hello fellow Northamptonshire RU'er!! I was told by my vet that you only need to use it if the bun has problems with a dirty bottom or cannot clean itself for some reason. However I too have a supply - just in case. :wave:

I use rear guard (well, I don't use it, Pickles does!). I'd rather have a sticky bunny who doesn't speak to me for a day or 2 than one eaten alive by maggots.

No I don't. So long as they are cleaned out regularly and bum checked daily in then I don't see the need. I did use reargraurd once but it stressed them out too much when I was applying it cause it doesn't seem to come out easily.

Yes but my experience has not been good :( I was given Xenex by my vet as I have two bunnies with incontinence, and we agreed it would be useful to protect all 6 as they are all in close proximity with the urine incontinent buns. Unfortunately at least 2 of my bunnies have had chemical burns as a result :cry: so I would exercise caution.

We do daily bum checks, daily litter tray clean, clean bums when needed, citronella around hutches etc (and hoping to do the fly mesh thingy too) but I am so fearful of Flystrike.

I havent used Rearguard but I would try that as an alternative as I will not use the Xenex again in a million years.

I've never used any flystrike prevent treatments despite having/had lots of 'at risk' buns. I find that the best prevention for buns like this is to be kept indoors with windows and doors closed.

I certainly wouldn't recommend use on a healthy bun with no sticky/wet bum problems.

One of my bosses used Rearguard on her rabbit and it died the following day! It could just be a coincidence of course, but I was a bit :shock: when she told me

After reading your views, I think I am not going to use the flystrike treatment. I will check their bottoms and keep the hutch squicky clean. I didn't have any problems when I had Jacques and he had alot of bottom problems. Bless him. :(

After reading your views, I think I am not going to use the flystrike treatment. I will check their bottoms and keep the hutch squicky clean. I didn't have any problems when I had Jacques and he had alot of bottom problems. Bless him. :(

Thats the way to go!!!
Overweight bunnies or teeth problem bunnies have problems with dirty bums as they cant reach or do the job well (Groom)enough.
My Lily has problems but as shes squeaky clean and bum checked every day etc etc I have no problems.Nasy chemical stuff.Yuk.xxx

Pipkin used to have problems with a sticky bum and I used it then, but he hasn't had a sticky bum in ages so I haven't been using it. I still have some of the Beaphar flystrike stuff just in case.

Back