• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How many times have your rabbits been under GA

How many times have your rabbits been under GA?

• Total voters
I would say once for their spays and neuters but Mischief has been under twice, the second time for his teeth now as he will most likely be having his incisors removed, it will be his 3rd and hopefully his last and he will come out healthy and happy!

How many times have your buns been under? I'm worried that this being his 3rd time might affect his health? :(

Lots. I assume over 7 for Grim. Neuter, dentals, incisor removal, dentals, more dentals... you get the idea. There was one problem when he stopped breathing fro five minutes under the GA. My vet is awesome though and he pulled through. When I went to pick him up he was humping Smoo. :roll: :lol:

Countless times between them- maybe between 50-60 totally my bunnies (including foster bunnies) since April 2007, I reckon.

No problems with any of them, even with Badger who was so, so high risk each time they talked me through the fact he may die, and Wish being spayed and also her teeth when she has a metabolic disorder so metabolises the GA super fast so is also high risk uner the GA.

:wave: Travis has had at least 3 GA's per year for dentals, sometimes 5. He will be 7 in 2 weeks time. :D I reckon he's had 20ish in total?

I do worry, and once a year I get them to run full bloods before his GA to check all is still OK. I have asked my vet about possible liver and kidney damage from the repeated GA's, but she is not concerned.

Speys are big ops which require a sustained period of GA and significant recovery. Dentals only require (as my vet puts it) a quick whiff of GA, and they're awake again and over before they know it.

Hope this helps to reassure you.

:wave: Travis has had at least 3 GA's per year for dentals, sometimes 5. He will be 7 in 2 weeks time. :D I reckon he's had 20ish in total?

I do worry, and once a year I get them to run full bloods before his GA to check all is still OK. I have asked my vet about possible liver and kidney damage from the repeated GA's, but she is not concerned.

Speys are big ops which require a sustained period of GA and significant recovery. Dentals only require (as my vet puts it) a quick whiff of GA, and they're awake again and over before they know it.

Hope this helps to reassure you.

it does, thanks :) Glad your bun is ok after all his :wave:

I have a bun with severe dental problems who has to have a GA every 3 weeks at the moment. He's been having regular GAs since he was one year old...he's 7 this year. :) At best he only ever went 6 weeks between dentals, but these days it's usually just 3 weeks.

Herbie bounces back very well from the GA, which is the reason that we are able to continue with this treatment.

Herbie has blood tests every so often, just to make sure everything is still OK. His last blood test was about a month ago and showed no signs of damaged to kidneys, liver etc. :)

I would guess that Herbie has had around 70 GA dentals over the 6 years.

Bungee Bun had molar spurs that were burred every 3 months, the time between became bigger over time. She had 10 GAs in her lifetime. She bounced back really quickly after them all :love::love:

I have a bun with severe dental problems who has to have a GA every 3 weeks at the moment. He's been having regular GAs since he was one year old...he's 7 this year. :) At best he only ever went 6 weeks between dentals, but these days it's usually just 3 weeks.

Herbie bounces back very well from the GA, which is the reason that we are able to continue with this treatment.

Herbie has blood tests every so often, just to make sure everything is still OK. His last blood test was about a month ago and showed no signs of damaged to kidneys, liver etc. :)

I would guess that Herbie has had around 70 GA dentals over the 6 years.

Gosh, that's a lot of ops! Herby must be a tough cookie. Is he in your sig?

My Gypsy has had 3 GAs since she came here in October...

1. An abscess removed from inside her nasal cavity in November.
2. Spay and removal of a mammary tumour in March
3. Incisor removal in April.

Jess has never had a GA although she will be this year when she gets spayed.

Joejoe had one for his neuter, 3 after eating that brush last year and 1 this year when he had stasis and they did a dental.

BB having plums off...Roland plums off and a dental...so thats 2 for him and Mrs Bun for her spey.Lily had an x ray....so thats 5 but I put 4 and forgot.:roll:

All my buns are neutered so all 6 at least once. 3 have also been under another time while with me, as one has had a GA for eye/teeth xray (oh no just realised that was twice actually, sorry, cant change it now - so he is 3 times totaly) and two who have been under a 2nd time for kidney x-rays and bloods.

Also just remembered that Kenco has had several GA dentals before he came to me, cant remember how many in total while he was in rescue, but at least 3 I think from memory, plus his neuter, plus his x-ray for kidneys/bladder.....so thats probably 5 in total at least I would think... sorry I only ticked 2 for him :oops:

Note to self: think before voting! :lol:

Mischa - neuter, dental, xray - 3
Mini - xray and spay, op to sort her hip out - 2
Nutmeg - spay - 1
Smudge - neuter - 1

Back