• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First big forage of the year :)

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
2 huge bags of hawthorn, a small bag of dog rose leaves, and apple twigs & leaves :D

Will just be giving the buns one or two hawthorn leaves a day over the weekend as they haven't had any for a while, and will dry the rest for rainy days.

Lady Jane has an apple stick - just waiting to see what she thinks of it :lol:

ive started my pair on the hawthorn and brambles this week too :D i will add some wild rose leaves next week and maybe a few dandelions and nettles too....

Good for you. :thumb: I wouldn't know hawthorn leaves, but might go looking. Spenser has gone off strawberry leaves, and is banned from dandelion leaves after his recent upset. :roll:

Brill :D I found a big patch of stickyweed and chickweed at work today and I was thrilled to bits, my colleagues thought I'd lost it :roll:

Good for you. :thumb: I wouldn't know hawthorn leaves, but might go looking. Spenser has gone off strawberry leaves, and is banned from dandelion leaves after his recent upset. :roll:

I'll send you some hawthorn when it's dried, and have some brambles drying for you :wave:

Actually, this is my second forage, cos I forgot I'd collected a huge basket of brambles earlier this week :lol:

Brill :D I found a big patch of stickyweed and chickweed at work today and I was thrilled to bits, my colleagues thought I'd lost it :roll:

:lol: The budge gets any chickweed we find, and the guinea pigs were well chuffed that I found a huge patch of vetch whilst foraging for the bunnies :lol:

Everything is now drying nicely, and Lady Jane had her first apple stick last night :D

(Oh, I'm Blackberry & Co, by the way - I never log out, but this morning I had been logged out, and even though I tried re-setting my password it wouldn't let me back in :cry:)

2 huge bags of hawthorn, a small bag of dog rose leaves, and apple twigs & leaves :D

Will just be giving the buns one or two hawthorn leaves a day over the weekend as they haven't had any for a while, and will dry the rest for rainy days.

Lady Jane has an apple stick - just waiting to see what she thinks of it :lol:

Could you post some pictures of the hawthorn please:D I need to start doing this, but I'm a bit nervous about picking the wrong things:oops: (hubby doesn't let me near the garden):oops:

I need to keep on the lookout for hawthorn, not tried it with mine yet.

It's a huge hit with my guys. I didn't start foraging until late last year, so only managed to dry enough to last until February, so they've been without it for a couple of months.

They're getting their first taste today :D

I've been tying mine in bunches and hanging them up. I read in James Wong's book that when you dry stuff like this the essentials oils go into the leaves. How true it is I don't know but it works and seems to work quickly!

I've been tying mine in bunches and hanging them up. I read in James Wong's book that when you dry stuff like this the essentials oils go into the leaves. How true it is I don't know but it works and seems to work quickly!

I do try that, but I keep banging my head on it when it hangs down,and then I knock the leaves off :lol:

I have sooo much gathered that I wouldn't have the space either :lol:

I do try that, but I keep banging my head on it when it hangs down,and then I knock the leaves off :lol:

I have sooo much gathered that I wouldn't have the space either :lol:

I've been hanging it on the garage door :oops:

Back