• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about re-bonding

shelley

Mama Doe
I'll try to cut the story as short as i can but keep all the important stuff in so bare with me!

I have 2 buns, Buster a dwarf grey lop and Lola a very large Nethie. Buster is about 6-7months old and Lola is 4years old. I initially bonded them myself and being inexperienced i think i did a few things wrong as after 3 weeks of being the perfect pair all hell broke loose. After constant fighting i had no choice but to seperate them. I dont know what caused the fighting however one of you guys (sorry i cant remeber who it was :oops:) suggested that i speak to The Duchess as she is near me and very expereienced at bonding.

Well Helen was truely fantastic, she was so knowledgable and gave up a good hour of her time to speak with me (Thank you so much Helen) and we decided the best course of action was to seperate them for 2 weeks then try again to bond them. If they failed to bond again this time round the Helen was going to take them both and try herself.

Well about 3 days after seperating them i was stroking Lola and felt lots of lumps all over her, on closer inspection and to my horror she has some really nasty gashes that had scabbed over. I feel like the worst bunny owner ever as i hadnt seen any of them the first time i checked them both over then i was at work so my OH was looking after them for a few days and now im really worried about putting them back together. Every day the re-bonding day gets closer i feel more and more concerned and stressed about it. I really had no idea how much Buster had hurt Lola, they were very deep bites (although not deep enough to need stiching) but there were alot of them and he obviously really meant to hurt her with alot of intent. Im just worried they are going to lock onto each other again are tear chuncks out of each other. I dont know what to do and i think im really out of my depth :cry:

Could you approach Helen again? If this is something you don't feel able to do, then I think talking to her would be a good idea.

Could you approach Helen again? If this is something you don't feel able to do, then I think talking to her would be a good idea.

Yeh i could but ive not seen her on here for a while and i know she's very busy. I dont want her to think i havent tried, it sounds silly i know. Im worried that i dont know when the fighting gets to much and when i should seperate them, i got it wrong last time and i left them too long and Lola got really hurt.

Back