• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

? spaying a 2 1/2yr old bun

kat031181

Alpha Buck
Kitten is approx 2 1/2 ive had her for about a month now and after just simply letting her settle in for a while, i am getting the sensible stuff sorted she is unvaccinated she is going next week for them, but the main thing on my mind is spaying?

Please understand this is not about money its about whats best, is it essential to spay ive done some searches on here and google and poor Kitten age seems to be a factor all say should be spayed at around 6mths? Is she more at risk being older from the op?

Is there anything else i need to be aware of?

Oh im sorry to be a worrier hope this is worded right im waffling! :wave:

She is still quite young and there should not be any problem with getting her neutered. :) It will be better for her character and will protect her from getting uterine cancer. You just need to find a good vet who has experience with rabbits. If you need recommendations, you can ask here on the forum. :)

Oh, and about the vaccinations, she should have two, one against Myxo, the other against VHD, and they should be given at least 2 weeks apart from each other, not at the same time. Myxo twice a year, VHD once a year.

No, at her age spaying is still fine! :D Spaying at 6 months is recommended as this should help erradicate aggresssive behaviour before it becomes habit. In older buns of of 6/7 or so the operation may be slightly riskier, as they're more likely to have other health issues which may complicate things, but at 2 1/2 your girlie is still a youngster.

If you get her spayed it'll be much easier to littertrain her, she should stop spraying, mounting and having false pregnancies. Spaying is also he only way to prevent utrine cancer, the biggest killer in unspayed does. It also means you can think about bonding her with a friend. As bunnies would naturally live in family groups they are happiest with at least one companion of their own kind.

Last edited:
Don't worry she is still a good age for spaying :) As long as she is in good health she is not likely to have any problems. Most people say to spay at 6 months because that is the minimum age that a lot of vets will spay a rabbit and it is good to get them done young to prevent hormonal behaviour. There is not really an upper limit unless the rabbit is quite elderly or unwell.

Spaying is very beneficial for female rabbits as it not only prevents hormonal behaviour and enables them to be bonded, but it also prevents uterine cancer which is sadly extremely common in middle aged and older rabbits. Basically it allows them to have a longer and happier life :)

Thank u for the quick replys, il be brave then and get it booked for when im next off work for a few days, shes quite a shy girl tho shes not shownany of the bad behavours mentioned although she does think we can be more than friends as she does little figure of eight hops around me and makes a little bopping noise! As much as i think its cute i suppose it must be frustrating for her. As for vets i have one i trust that i used for my dog and hammy and i know he is good with bunnies as well x

My last girl got spayed at age 5/6 and she took a longer time to recover from the op but she was fine! Kitten is a youngster so should get through it no probs!

Back