• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which type of carrier for Vet trips

kat031181

Alpha Buck
I am going to take Kitten for her myxi vaccination and check over next week and i want to get a proper carrier for her rather than the cardboard box she came home in which she chomped her way through! Im a bit confused which type to get

open top lift rabbit in and out?
cat type front opening?

Kitten is ok when u get a hold of her but she does get a bit kick out and looks scared when picked up so not sure which one is best was kind of leaning towards the cat ones so she can be coaxed in and then *gently* tipped out!

Also a bit worried how the vet will give her the jab if she doesnt like being held for very long she is actually calmer if held like a baby so her tummy is up shes used to this as she used to get a dirty bottom regularly .... got that sorted out now!

I have the open front one. Both my two fit in there together at the moment as there only small. Ive never had any problems getting them out at the vets, infact there more than willing to come out!
Mine have their first injections next week too and one of mine isnt keen on being held either infact its almost impossible so i'm not too sure how its going to go!

I have the same one as Kermit, they are good for buns that may be a bit difficult to handle :)

With a normal cat carrier most are in two parts so you can unclip it and take the top off. There are very very few that you cant do this to, and you can see these are made of one piece of plastic. I take the top off at the vets and then the vet can examine them whilst they are still in the carrier, so the rabbit feels more secure.

The cabrio looks brilliant, if you can afford it then get it, I would have it in a flash but my boy is a large bunny and so with him and his friend it would be a bit squashed. I want it so badly :love:

And just checking, make sure when you are holding her on her back you're not trancing her unless absolutely necessary, you probably know about this but just thought I'd mention it in case :)

Absolutely 100% get one that is top opening. Front opening is useful as an addition (especially when putting buns back home after the visit, you can just open the door and out they hop) but it is soooo much easier and safer to lift them in and out the top. Many normal front opening cat carriers can be opened at the top but it's often a lot of faff as it involves taking the door out and undoing several clips. I would advise getting one which is designed to be opened at the top without having to take the whole thing apart. There are loads of different designs out there to suit most budgets :)

I agree on the top opening thing for bunnies. Same with guinea pigs. They will automatically go to the back of the carrier and getting your arms in to get them out when you can't really see too well what you're doing is a bit of a nightmare!

oooh thats a posh one! might have to have a think about that one, bit more than i was thinking of spending but it does look like it would last, x

I recently upgraded my front opening cat carrier to the Cabrio one and I love it !!! I'd get in there myself if I could :lol::lol:

With a normal cat carrier most are in two parts so you can unclip it and take the top off. There are very very few that you cant do this to, and you can see these are made of one piece of plastic. I take the top off at the vets and then the vet can examine them whilst they are still in the carrier, so the rabbit feels more secure.

The cabrio looks brilliant, if you can afford it then get it, I would have it in a flash but my boy is a large bunny and so with him and his friend it would be a bit squashed. I want it so badly :love:

And just checking, make sure when you are holding her on her back you're not trancing her unless absolutely necessary, you probably know about this but just thought I'd mention it in case :)[/QUOTE]

Thank u for that i had no idea about this just searched it on here! Feel horrible now was just shown by the couple who she came from that this was the way she liked to be held as she is a wriggler held next to your body, i wont do it again il just keep trying and slowly slowly she will get more used to it im sure. thank u again for bringing that up i honestly didnt know!!!1

Thank u for that i had no idea about this just searched it on here! Feel horrible now was just shown by the couple who she came from that this was the way she liked to be held as she is a wriggler held next to your body, i wont do it again il just keep trying and slowly slowly she will get more used to it im sure. thank u again for bringing that up i honestly didnt know!!!1

Dont worry I didnt know either, my vet tries it to examine my bunny sometimes as he goes mental when he is held, so I didnt think anything of it. I knew what trancing was, just didnt know it was so stressful for them. (Incidently, my bun doesnt trance properly anyway.) In some situations it is needed, for example to get the bunny to stay still for removing stitches or matts on the tummy, and then it doesnt cause any harm as long as they arent tranced for too long.

Ive ordered one of the Catit Design Cabrio's in orange so then i have the choice between the top or front doors! Its got a discount on it and free postage over £29 so got some treats as well, I did want the pink but the hubby said no in case Kitten gets a boyfriend and they have to share! :D

Ive ordered one of the Catit Design Cabrio's in orange so then i have the choice between the top or front doors! Its got a discount on it and free postage over £29 so got some treats as well, I did want the pink but the hubby said no in case Kitten gets a boyfriend and they have to share! :D

I have the orange one. Honestly so many people have passed comment about it at the vets, like 'oh what a fancy carrier' etc :)
I think you will love it. Easy to build too.

Back