• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

stasis and food aggression

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I've noticed this quite a bit with Ralph. When he is teetering on the edge of yet another bout of stasis (like he was last night...) he gets very agressive over food. His ears are down, he pounces on bowls I try give him which have food he might want in them and he growls and grunts. Then he gets grumpy when Rosie starts to eat his food instead and goes to the back of the shed and starts ripping up newspaper with his ears down. I try giving him all sorts when he's in stasis - brambles, different hays, veggies, fruit, pellets...

What is he trying to tell me?

That his GI tract hypomotility is a SECONDARY SYMPTOM of another problem

Teeth ?

Impacted cecum ?

Bladder issues ?

Environmental stress ?

Teeth ?

Impacted cecum ?

Bladder issues ?

Environmental stress ?

Thank you Jane, that's really interesting... Not teeth, they've been checked under GA and consciously several times.

Would Impacted Cecum lead to occasional bouts of diarrhea too?

No Bladder issues

Environmental stress..not sure... he's in the same accomodation he's always been in but he did have a big fight last week where I had to separate him from Buzz...

Teeth ?

Impacted cecum ?

Bladder issues ?

Environmental stress ?

This I think :wave: becoming stasis-prone can often be a symptom of another problem. It's definitely worth exploring. If it isn't another problem it could just be because he is in pain, Harvey has had a couple of bloat episodes and he just can't get comfortable when he has one, he gets quite grumpy with us and pushes us out of the way where normally he loves to be fussed and to kiss our hands

no idea but i hope ralph's ok xxx

with eric, it appears to be separation anxiety or stress of some other sort (like unfamiliar shoes left near where he sits - yup, that daft:roll:).

with him, when its teeth, he presents the pain in a 'can't get comfy sitting up' rather than flopping with belly pain. oh, and a couple of times, he's dribbled little bits of wee due to it but his bladder was fine it was molar spurs.

Thanks Nicola and Poppymoon, that's really helpful...

I can handle the stasis episodes as they're frequent but mild, but it's very obvious to me that something upsets his tummy regularly. He doesn't like non-dry food. So he hates veg, fruit, leaves, grass etc... he just wants pellets and hay.

But every time I take him to the vet they do the old check teeth, fibreplex, biolapis, metoclopramise, metacam, tell me to just feed him hay thing and send me off again...

I will have to make a decision about whether I want to go the whole hog and get him tested at Great Western (and claim on insurance) and whether it's worth it.

Personally I would want to try to establish a primary diagnosis as just treating each 'episode' is really only like putting a plaster on an infected wound.

Does he have a good water intake. Given that he will only eat pellets/hay he may have chronic dehydration of ingesta in his guts. This makes me think that cecal impaction might be a real possibility

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.html

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.pdf

thanks jane. With caecal impaction would you say the constipation alternates with diarrhea sometimes??

I have nowhere near as much experience with this as a lot of you. But i really think that Bobby's episodes are due to dehydration, as I was taking them back to a hay diet as Carlo had a mucky bum, I hadn't yet introduced veg back yet.

Now i have completley cut down pellets, and give her soaked veg (as carlo's tum doesn't seem to like veg), she has been like a different bunny.

Also she always picked up when i had syringed her a good bit of water, and when she came out of Stasis, she went straight to her bowl and drank like there is no tommorrow :)

Basically what Jane said, but in my experience

Back