• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

incisor removal?

xSmeffy123x

Alpha Buck
for those who have buns with incisors removed, just because i want to get as clued up on this as possible as i know maloclussion is quite common. my vet mentioned that i should keep an eye on one of my buns teeth.
could i ask what burring is?:oops:
what is life like for a bun with their incisors removed??

Buns generally do fine without their front teeth. They just need things cut into bunny bite sized pieces. :)

Burring is where they will basically fine down the teeth. Sometimes under GA. It's the safest way to trim a bunnies teeth. I hope your bun is okay. Hay is the best thing to keep the teeth trim naturally. Give them as much as they will possibly eat.

yeah i hope she is too thanks, i will ask more about this when she goes for vhd but i tried her with willow sticks as a natural painkiller and to chew on but she isnt buying it

it is good to know that she can lead a normal life without them thanks

My bun is most likely going to be having his incisors removed as they grow very long and need burring every month :( From what I've heard, having them out is much better than having them keep growing because it's easier for them to eat and much less stressful because they don't have to go to the vets all the time. I hope your bunny is ok. x

I have a bun with no incisors :) I decided it was better to have them removed than have to have them burred every 4 weeks, it is a nasty op, but burring can be quite stressful (they don't GA them at my practice or at work...) I don't think it hurts them but it is uncomfortable and in the long run works out cheaper to have them removed.

My boy leads a pretty normal life I just have to cut things up a bit more for him but he still eats hay like normal and pellets etc.

I have a bun with no incisors too, well kinda!
Herbie was abandoned and looked like this when he came into the rescue (sorry for big pic), he got his incisors removed, then he came to me. Two of teeth grew back in, so he got them out again. Now one of his peg teeth keeps coming in, but he just gets it burred every month or so, he is great and just sits there getting it done :)
He manages fine with pellets and hay, i only have to chop up his veg into small chunks or strips :)
teeth012.jpg

aaaw pooe herbie i bet that was uncomfortable for him,luckily he had you to do that for him. yeah it sounds as if burring is good but in the long run is limited really, it is good to know that they can carry on living a normal life without their incisors :) thanks guys :)

:wave: I've had a couple of buns that had incisors removed. Spike (now at the Bridge, bless him) had horrendous back teeth as well so was always on borrowed time :(

Kiki, who's estimated age is now 5, had to have her incisors removed 4 times as they kept growing back one at a time. She ended up getting an infection in her nose after the last op and has a nasal abscess as a result. This has been managed with anti-biotics for the over 3 years that she's been with me.

Her back teeth are in great shape and she is a fab hay eater. The only thing I do to compensate for her having no front teeth is I grate the carrot and finely shred any veg. Other than that, she eats hay and SS pellets the same as a bun with front teeth.

yes i have read that back teeth are very dangerous to remove so that must have been hard for you...
it sounds like kiki is in good care then :) thats great and thanks for the info, i havent managed them onto fresh foods yet as they have only just been weened to wagg. but i will bear this in mind when i do and if matilda does end up having any of her teeth out :)

Back