• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh gosh - my yearly bunny costs!

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
£524.80 a year:shock:

That is megazorb, hay, food, readigrass, herbs, their jabs and the odd pack of fenugreek crunchies... so it's just the essentials really!

It doesn't even take into account the £200 I spent this year on getting them neutered, any other vet bills, or the £189.23 I will have spent on their new set up.. perhaps I'll wait till next year to repaint the hutch:shock:

Oh, it does mount up doesn't it.:(

OH and I were going through our budget to see if we could get a new car and I had to document the buns costs. I thought it was ok till he asked about vacc and I had to add 225 a year for them. Three rabbits, three vacc each a year. :(

Every time I look at moving them onto more expensive pellets I look at these numbers and think A and P at £7 for 20kg is pretty good!

Eek that's scary! Probably better not to add things up lol - it's just too frightening. I think though that there was a page on the rabbits united that I read before getting rabbits and those costs were on there so I was kind of prepared! :)

I dread to think what my total animal costs have been these past few years.

i daren't add it up :? To think, when i first got Oscar before I found RU, I thought he would be a cheap pet to keep :lol::lol: Wouldn't change it for the world though :love:

Eek that's scary! Probably better not to add things up lol - it's just too frightening. I think though that there was a page on the rabbits united that I read before getting rabbits and those costs were on there so I was kind of prepared! :)

I dread to think what my total animal costs have been these past few years.

I wish I hadn't now!:lol:

Although I may stop getting megazorb, as since being on it my buns have all got sore feet, all three of them! And someone told me that occasionally some buns have a reaction to it where it dries and cracks their skin. It sucks though, as I now have a huge bag of virtually unused megazorb that I can't use.

Oh, it does mount up doesn't it.:(

OH and I were going through our budget to see if we could get a new car and I had to document the buns costs. I thought it was ok till he asked about vacc and I had to add 225 a year for them. Three rabbits, three vacc each a year. :(

Every time I look at moving them onto more expensive pellets I look at these numbers and think A and P at £7 for 20kg is pretty good!

Wow, that is good!

I wish I hadn't now!:lol:

Although I may stop getting megazorb, as since being on it my buns have all got sore feet, all three of them! And someone told me that occasionally some buns have a reaction to it where it dries and cracks their skin. It sucks though, as I now have a huge bag of virtually unused megazorb that I can't use.

Could you use megazorb with a sheet of newspaper over the top? Then you get the absorbing powers of megazorb without their feet ever touching it :)

This is what I used to do..Cos I didn't have enough newspapers....but megazorb fragments would get tangled up in Apache's fur.

Could you use megazorb with a sheet of newspaper over the top? Then you get the absorbing powers of megazorb without their feet ever touching it :)

This is what I used to do..Cos I didn't have enough newspapers....but megazorb fragments would get tangled up in Apache's fur.

That's a good idea! Thanks:D

I worked out mine cost £22.50 a month for two bunnies. It soon builds up, along with 2 dogs, 2 cats, 3 guinea pigs, a hamster and a fish tank :(

I won't even multiply that by the no I have then. I'd faint. And add on 3000 for their set UPS etc. I hate shopping,clothes,shoes etc though so suppose that's my thing.

Mine was about that last year but that included all the vets fees. There are a few things that cut down our yearly costs dramatically.

ETA. Oh no wait, no it didn't. Our vets fees were £500 odd, other bits (excluding fresh greens) about £150.

last time I worked out my costs I estimated it to be over a grand, including vets and insurance :shock:

I worked out mine cost £22.50 a month for two bunnies. It soon builds up, along with 2 dogs, 2 cats, 3 guinea pigs, a hamster and a fish tank :(

well done! my two buns cost me around £80 a month, including insurance. i'm doing something wrong! :oops:

bedding, hay, veggies, nuggets, occasional treats, insurance, - oh, one of my expenses is flooring, usually tarp and dust sheets to protect the carpet...

Amazingly my monthly food cost for four rabbits for April was a tenner :shock: £7 on hay and £3 on pellets and everything else was foraged or grown. Did spend a few quid on newspapers when couldn't get freebies but think I might have a supply for those now ;)

It's more in winter obviously but I'm trying to plan ahead and when my allotment gets pruned all the raspberry and blackberry leaves will be dried as will the sage prunings and any nettles I can get my mitts on. I'm also going to sow some herb and weed seeds in old herb pots and grow indoors over the winter so that I wont be solely reliant on supermarket herbs.

I did a pie chart of where the money I spent went (minus greens) and the biggest outlay was megazorb and then hay. As they dig in megazorb now, getting free newspapers will save a bit.

Last edited:
Amazingly my monthly food cost for four rabbits for April was a tenner :shock: £7 on hay and £3 on pellets and everything else was foraged or grown. Did spend a few quid on newspapers when couldn't get freebies but think I might have a supply for those now ;)

It's more in winter obviously but I'm trying to plan ahead and when my allotment gets pruned all the raspberry and blackberry leaves will be dried as will the sage prunings and any nettles I can get my mitts on. I'm also going to sow some herb and weed seeds in old herb pots and grow indoors over the winter so that I wont be solely reliant on supermarket herbs.

I did a pie chart of where the money I spent went (minus greens) and the biggest outlay was megazorb and then hay. As they dig in megazorb now, getting free newspapers will save a bit.

I WISH there was a farm near me which sold bales of hay, because its their hay that costs me a fortune. Everything else I buy from the hay experts so its okay-ish price wise... But obviously I buy a lot of it. Mind you, its the herbs and their vaccs that really rocketed the total price:lol:

I WISH there was a farm near me which sold bales of hay, because its their hay that costs me a fortune. Everything else I buy from the hay experts so its okay-ish price wise... But obviously I buy a lot of it. Mind you, its the herbs and their vaccs that really rocketed the total price:lol:

Yeah herbs are the killer for me. That's why foraging has saved me SO much money!

I refuse to add up *everything* i've spent since April last year when Biccy joined us :shock:

Back